Respected Contributor

Not sure if this should be under pets, guess it will get moved if need be. 

My question is, does anyone have experience getting a service dog? My daughter is interested in one and thinks it will help her with her depression and anxiety. 

Esteemed Contributor

There is a huge difference between service dogs and emotional support pets.  Service dogs are specifically trained to perform specific tasks while support pets can be certified on the Internet.  Each has specific rights in society and many places are cracking down due to the widespread abuse of those with support pets.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

There is a huge difference between service dogs and emotional support pets.  Service dogs are specifically trained to perform specific tasks while support pets can be certified on the Internet.  Each has specific rights in society and many places are cracking down due to the widespread abuse of those with support pets.

@CrazyDaisy Thank you for the information, was not aware there were 2 types. I am going to do my research.

Honored Contributor

Re: Service dogs

[ Edited ]

Sounds like she might be in need of a therapy dog.  If you are interested in a therapy dog Golden Retriever, I personally know of a breeder/handler/trainer who has dogs and may know others who have dogs also all over the country. She has her own website and you can contact her there if you have questions.

I have adopted her retired therapy dogs...three of them so far...and I can tell you they are the sweetest dogs ever! 

@panda1234 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Sounds like she might be in need of a therapy dog.  If you are interested in a therapy dog Golden Retriever, I personally know of a breeder/handler/trainer who has dogs and may know others who have dogs also all over the country. She has her own website and you can contact her there if you have questions.

I have adopted her retired therapy dogs...three of them so far...and I can tell you they are the sweetest dogs ever! 

@panda1234 

Therapy dogs are a third category.  They are typically a persons pet that has temperament tests and training.  The owner is then able to take them into hospitals, schools and nursing homes to provide comfort for others.  Have never heard of a "retired" therapy dogs, everyone I know who has them keep them for life because they are their pets.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Organization URL(s)

Other Contact Information

P.O. Box 754
Arlington, VA 22216
571-216-1589 (Voice)

Description

The Psychiatric Service Dog Society is dedicated to responsible Psychiatric Service Dog (PSD) education, advocacy, research and training facilitation. The organization provides essential information for persons disabled by severe mental illness, who wish to train a service dog to assist with the management of symptoms. In addition, the Society consults regularly with mental healthcare providers in their efforts to learn more about PSD and hosts an online community of service dog handlers veteran and new.

Print Resources

Brochures for consumers and providers.

Trusted Contributor

Dear OP :  you will find much misinformation posted on this forum about service dogs.

You are inquiring about a Medical Service Dog, subcategory Psychiatric Service Dog.  These lifesaving animals are prescribed by a physician, trained by professionals and granted protected status by our governing authorities.  They are not emotional support dogs or therapy dogs or pets.

Medical Service Dogs are employed to intervene in medical situations such as diabetic crises, cardiac emergencies, seizures etc.  They are medical tools. Psychiatric Service Dogs are specifically trained to act when necessary in depressive states, PTSD, dissociative states to state just a few examples.  

They are NOT PETS.  The animal need not be a dog, a young lady member of the society has a service horse, another a bird. The commitment should not be entered into lightly.  I encourage you to go to the Psychiatric Service Dog Society web site. There you will find the most comprehensive, accurate information available.  

Honored Contributor

Generally, just having a dog helps with depression and anxiety, but is registering the dog as a support dog necessary?  Does the dog need to accompany her everywhere?  Is she being treated by a physician?

Many support dogs are not trained properly to be around a lot of people and in crowded places, become anxious themselves and have led to bites.  Then, the dog is blamed and could be euthanized.  

Of course, we don't know what's causing her depression and anxiety, not saying she's not a good candidate, dogs are wonderful, but if at all possible, shouldn't she learn to stand on her own two feet without relying on a dog to get her through life.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@panda1234 

Therapy dogs are a third category.  They are typically a persons pet that has temperament tests and training.  The owner is then able to take them into hospitals, schools and nursing homes to provide comfort for others.  Have never heard of a "retired" therapy dogs, everyone I know who has them keep them for life because they are their pets.

The ones I have adopted are way too old to get around to hospitals like they use to. My dogs have been all females which have been bred because of their lineage. They are way beyond their years for breeding and their pups have sold even before being born. The dogs are all champions and I feel very privileged and blessed to take them into my life until the end. @CrazyDaisy 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is going off topic.