Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Sorry-forgot the not. No popsicles that summer.

I do remember eating supper w/Mom (Dad was a fireman and working) and hearing on KDKA radio that Salk had developed a vaccine for polio.

I remember that big Salk announcement. We were happy because mom had been diagnosed with polio in 1952.   But no one in my part of PA blamed mom’s diagnosis on popsicles.

Honored Contributor

I've always gotten a kick out of people who order a diet Pepsi alongside their bacon cheeseburger.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop 

I've got 10 years on you and I've been drinking diet sodas for more years than I remember.  And I'm going to continue to drink it.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Sorry-forgot the not. No popsicles that summer.

I do remember eating supper w/Mom (Dad was a fireman and working) and hearing on KDKA radio that Salk had developed a vaccine for polio.

KDKA, you must have lived in the 'burgh.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I've always gotten a kick out of people who order a diet Pepsi alongside their bacon cheeseburger.

@QueenDanceALot.  That would be me! LOL. Simple reason....I prefer Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi over the non diet ones.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot.  That would be me! LOL. Simple reason....I prefer Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi over the non diet ones.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Oh,don't mess with my kicks!

(or does that mean "don't mess with my shoes" ?)

Trusted Contributor
@sue311

Why aren't we supposed to drink milk when we're older? I missed that one lol.
Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@sue311 wrote:

I swear everytime you read something or take something it will cause cancer. When I was little I had to drink milk, now you cant drink lots of milk when you are older. I take calcium pills, now you have to be careful as it can do something to your bones. 

You have to watch what you put on your face, on your body, what you eat, drink, etc.

...which is why I bless it and eat everything. Of course I do this in moderation as I have no intention of buying new clothes.

I just read yesterday that if you drink even one diet coke or diet pepsi daily, your risk of heart attack goes up by 50%.   I think its a bunch of bolony.  Next month someone will say that drinking it is good for you.

I’ve heard this heart attack association before.  With my being a type 2 diabetic, I am trying not to drink too many diet sodas.  It’s the carbonation that I like so I am drinking sparkling waters.  I think the sweet diet drinks make me hungry...hard to tell sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Actually, the article I heard was that people who drank SODAS died earlier due to heart disease although there is no reason given as to why which means no cause/effect.  So, they really just don't know.  But, it made no difference whether it was diet soda or regular soda.

As far as the bacon cheeseburger with Diet soda goes, once you become accustomed to the diet drinks, the regular drinks taste bad, just like people who are accustomed to the sugar sodas say diet sodas taste bad.  For me, a regular soda leaves a sticky sweet taste in my mouth.  

I only drink soda now when we go out to eat, but only because I prefer making my own carbonated beverages and my favorite is not a soda flavor.  I carbonate a mixture of Sobe Water, Lemonade, and water.  So, now that I have been mostly away from sodas, I tire of them very quickly.  

Honored Contributor

It all has to do with making money, everyone has their own angle on things because they want you to buy their product. I think we all know too much of anything is no good for us.