Honored Contributor

Re: Sepsis from trying on shoes

@sidsmom wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

I just read about a little girl getting sepsis from trying on shoes in a store without socks. The Dr said she probably had a cut or bug bite where the infection got in. Scary.

This makes you think that it might not be a good idea for anyone to do this!

....to do what, exactly?

To get a cut or a bug bite?

Why badger a poster when you know exactly what? 

If you don't feel there is danger then do it, but to be confrontational for no reason is simply petty.

Respected Contributor

Wow, I'm really disappointed in USA Today. It looks like they got all their info from The Sun tabloid and a Facebook post and didn't interview any doctors themselves or do much to fact-check this story. I don't really consider either a British tabloid or personal Facebook posts to be credible news sources without a lot of verification and fact-checking.

Honored Contributor

I never in my life ever tried on shoes in shoe store without hose or peds.  Ditto for my kids.  Anyone's feet could and probably have been in those shoes.  Of course, I've been buying shoes online, with QVC and through catalogs for many years.  I know that they're never been tried on.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear shoes w/o socks, or try on shoes w/o socks!  Just the thought of bare feet in shoes is ICKY!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

I just read about a little girl getting sepsis from trying on shoes in a store without socks. The Dr said she probably had a cut or bug bite where the infection got in. Scary.

This makes you think that it might not be a good idea for anyone to do this!

....to do what, exactly?

To get a cut or a bug bite?

Why badger a poster when you know exactly what? 

If you don't feel there is danger then do it, but to be confrontational for no reason is simply petty.

M’kay...

Likewise....bringing it up for no reason is petty, as well,

but I have a feeling it won’t be viewed that way.  

LaDeeDa🌼💛

(Back to Regularly Scheduled Programming)

Honored Contributor

Weird but true story about sepsis...

A young man was injured playing sports. He had gotten hit and endured a horrendous bruise on his knee but did not experience any broken skin during the incident. A week later his knee swelled up like a balloon and his doctor discovered that the young man had developed sepsis from that injury. Turned out to be a staph infection that somehow got lodged deep inside his knee joint from the extreme impact sports injury. In other words, the bacteria was physically pushed through the skin without any cuts present. It simply made it's way through his skin and caused an infection that turned septic.

Another similar incident like that happened to a guy who fell off a ladder and landed on his hip. No cuts but he had terrible bruising and ended up in the hospital with a severe staph infection in the hip bone.

Moral of these stories...don't ever underestimate the potency and toxicity of infectious agents.

Super Contributor

I never try shoes on without socks.  Thinking of others with cuts or scrapes or dirty feet and who knows what is so gross, and also could cause things like infection. We dont know what is going on with anyone else that is possibly putting their bare feet into shoes that others then try on!  Smiley Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

For all of us who use a sock or those stupid nylons they put out at places like DSW, Famous Footwear, etc. that are basically self service, what do you do once you get the shoes home?

It dawned on me that I always use something to try a shoe on while in the store but I don't clean the shoes when I get them home.  I put them on my feet, oftentimes with a bare foot depending on the shoe. 

Are you all disinfecting your shoes when you get them home? 

@Lipstickdiva

Don’t use the store supplied footies or nylons.  Who knows what kind of yuck the person who used them have before you used the socks or nylons.

I bring my own socks or nylons when trying on shores at the store.

When I get new shoes home I spray the insides with Lysol.

Growing up in China, and having lived in Japan, and Hawaii,  shoes are removed before entering my home.  Family and friends know to remove shoes.  Guests are requested to remove shoes.  House rules.  No exceptions.  I have a sign by my door.   Hardwood floors. No carpets.

The soles of shoes are filthy.

Who knows what junk lives on the bottom of your shoes.   

Hung

Honored Contributor

@EatWell  they don't reuse footies. You toss them ,after you use them

Honored Contributor

I find it incredible to believe that anyones mother did not teach them that you must wear socks to try on shoes.