Honored Contributor

Sepsis from trying on shoes

[ Edited ]

I just read about a little girl getting sepsis from trying on shoes in a store without socks. The Dr said she probably had a cut or bug bite where the infection got in. Scary.

This makes you think that it might not be a good idea for anyone to Try On Shoes with No Socks!!

When you think of other people trying on shoes with no socks then you try them on, well that alone is disgusting!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2018/09/04/mom-warns-sepsis-risk-after-daughter-gets-...

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Sepsis from trying on shoes

Guess anything can happen...all the places I've been to try on shoes usually has the little sox to slip on, or I'm wearing sox.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I just read about a little girl getting sepsis from trying on shoes in a store without socks. The Dr said she probably had a cut or bug bite where the infection got in. Scary.

This makes you think that it might not be a good idea for anyone to do this!

....to do what, exactly?

To get a cut or a bug bite?

Respected Contributor

I never try on shoes without a footie or sock.  This child apparently had some type of wound on her foot and it got infected.  I'm not sure if the doctors are one hundred percent sure it was shoes that did it.  I haven't been following the story all that closely.  Hope the child recovers. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry started the same thread last week.

My comment was Sepsis is a blood poison that does not live on objects

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@cherrystarted the same thread last week.

My comment was Sepsis is a blood poison that does not live on objects

This is incorrect. Sepsis is the chemical (toxins) release from bacteria into the bloodstream which triggers an immune response...inflammation. The bacteria which can cause sepsis can live on surfaces. Fungi, viruses, and parasites also cause sepsis.

Honored Contributor

It’s odd the shoes are being blamed.

She could’ve touched a zillion other things in the

other 23hr-50min of that day...why the shoes? 

3845BF46-1D9D-466E-8DA6-EEAFA3F22604.jpeg

C97AAD94-6581-4AAD-83FD-0F815644D4CE.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I always wear a footie or a stocking when I try on shoes. I think everyone  should for hygene's sake

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't even wear any kind of open-style footwear in public places and I take off my shoes at the front door when I come home. Germaphobe??...absolutely.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't even wear any kind of open-style footwear in public places and I take off my shoes at the front door when I come home. Germaphobe??...absolutely.Woman LOL

@SilleeMee

Aren’t you a biologist? I recall a conversation about parasites

and you responded you dealt w/ something w/ labs.

(I’m sorry I don’t remember the details!)