Honored Contributor

Re: SeaMaiden/Intermittent fasting ?

There are hundreds on books on Intermittent Fasting.  You should buy one and read it and then decide if it is something you want to try.  

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@Mimi NY wrote:

Just have to say that INTERMITTENT FASTING works, it's just a new way of WHEN YOU EAT AND WHEN YOU STOP.

I achieved a weight loss,50 lbs. which I could NEVER succeed In doing when I  was younger even starving didn't work.

Did find that using MCT powder helped me in such a BIG  way as it took away the cravings,and allowed me to have 1 cup of coffee in the morning. I know it says black coffee but I need my cup of coffee .I did  it "MY WAY" and it worked.

Started off 16/8 now some days can do 20/4.

Will continue this lifestyle of eating because no doctor recommendations in trying to loose weight  ever worked for me.

No one ever told me to drink my coffee black 🥴-I've done my 1/2&1/2 and stevia since the day I started.

Be careful of "experts" who aren't also medical professionals.

Also, very few "dieticians" I've encountered veer very far from "3 balanced meals a day, moderation", which has not worked for me in 60 years or so.

Ha! I have to laugh at the suggestion of a dietitian!  When my DH was in the hospital for almost two weeks ten years ago (this was a good hospital in Philadelphia) the food they gave him was garbage! 

He told them he wanted no sugar so instead they gave him artificial sweeteners and processed food.

Each day when I went to visit I would bring real food from home.

Honored Contributor

Some do IF with as little as a 12 hour time span without food.  I do the one meal a day at the end of the day.  But I do drink one cup of coffee and water the rest of the day.  I have done IF since the early 80's not knowing I was doing it.  Just so busy going to school and working and paying my bills I never stopped during the day to eat.  Other than being pregnant this as always been my way.  It was so weird when I found out a few years ago this is a thing.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Didn't realize the word fasting would be carried so far it got complicated. I remember first hearing it when I was about 5 years old, 78 years ago.

Went through catholic grade school and the nuns told us we had to fast before going to communion. Now!! 

As I said in my other post, to me choosing the definition of fasting is the same. Add the seemingly 100 or so variables one chooses of how/when/what/why! It becomes as complicated as the word overweight.

That last word, in and of itself, means whatever one chooses it to mean. Body weight numbers to me mean very little. Why! Being 50-60% of one's body weight is fluid, and most know that can vary by the hour?

My main interest in my body for many decades now, has not been scale numbers, by the pound or kilo. It is what is my body composition

Seems like too many have taken the word fasting to an extreme, and now every single person can use their own definition of it's meaning.  So? Have at it!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Guess IF isn't going to work for me afterall.  My doctor & I had quite the discussion about it & several other things today, I'm having some blood work done & we'll go from there. 

Anyway, so appreciate all your comments, discussion & ideas.

Respected Contributor

@colleena , best wishes to you!  Wishing you good health! 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Is intermittent fasting done for weight loss or are there other benefits from doing it? I don't need to lose weight. Just asking.

@SilleeMee  It's actually very good for you for anti-aging and anti-cancer, for starters.  There are many versions of IF, but the aren't all equal.  The longer you can fast, the better. At 18 hrs, autophagy kicks in.  I usually do a daily 20:4 schedule, meaning I fast 20 hrs. and have a 4 hr. eating window.  I never feel famished or ready to pass out. 

Research suggests that some of the most important autophagy benefits include:

• Providing cells with molecular building blocks and energy
  • Recycling damaged proteins, organelles and aggregates
  • Regulating functions of cells’ mitochondria, which help produce energy but can be damaged by oxidative stress
  • Clearing damaged endoplasmic reticulum and peroxisomes
  • Protecting the nervous system and encouraging growth of brain and nerve cells. Autophagy seems to improve cognitive function, brain structure and neuroplasticity.
  • Supporting growth of heart cells and protecting against heart disease
  • Enhancing the immune system by eliminating intracellular pathogens
  • Defending against misfolded, toxic proteins that contribute to a number of amyloid diseases
  • Protecting stability of DNA
  • Preventing damage to healthy tissues and organs (known as necrosis)
  • Potentially fighting cancer, neurodegenerative disease and other illnesses
Regular Contributor

I have been eating this way for the past 5+ years.  It had  inadvertently started when I started taking a medication in the morning that required waiting 30 minutes before eating breakfast.  I noticed that I wasn't hungry, so I started with my coffee and breakfast around 10:30- 11:00 am.  I also follow some hard and fast rules that work for me.  I eat 3 small to modest meals a day, do not snack, and finish my dinner by 6 pm.  Nothing after that.  I brush and floss to avoid eating any more (I would hate to do this twice, so it is a good deterrent.)  I eat in a 7-8 hour window and do not eat the rest of the time.  I also do not drink caffeinated beverages, alcohol, and do not eat sugar.  This has worked for me for a long time.  I have maintained about a 90 pound weight loss since 2006 following this plan.  I don't think the intermittent fasting has necessarily contributed to the weight loss though.  I believe it is the cutting down on portions, eating only 3 small meals with no snacks, no sugar stuff, and maintaining a regular exercise regimen.  I swim laps daily for 30-45 minutes and use the treadmill also at times.  I am 74 years old and all my bloodwork from my recent physical was smack dab in the middle of the normal range, so I think my plan is working for me.

Honored Contributor

Do what you enjoy and you can do because you can find tons of information with "the TRUTH" out there about anything now, and a crowd of people who will support whatever theory it is you like.

Do what is right for you and your doctor and your bloodwork! 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Is intermittent fasting done for weight loss or are there other benefits from doing it? I don't need to lose weight. Just asking.

@SilleeMee  It's actually very good for you for anti-aging and anti-cancer, for starters.  There are many versions of IF, but the aren't all equal.  The longer you can fast, the better. At 18 hrs, autophagy kicks in.  I usually do a daily 20:4 schedule, meaning I fast 20 hrs. and have a 4 hr. eating window.  I never feel famished or ready to pass out. 

Research suggests that some of the most important autophagy benefits include:

• Providing cells with molecular building blocks and energy
  • Recycling damaged proteins, organelles and aggregates
  • Regulating functions of cells’ mitochondria, which help produce energy but can be damaged by oxidative stress
  • Clearing damaged endoplasmic reticulum and peroxisomes
  • Protecting the nervous system and encouraging growth of brain and nerve cells. Autophagy seems to improve cognitive function, brain structure and neuroplasticity.
  • Supporting growth of heart cells and protecting against heart disease
  • Enhancing the immune system by eliminating intracellular pathogens
  • Defending against misfolded, toxic proteins that contribute to a number of amyloid diseases
  • Protecting stability of DNA
  • Preventing damage to healthy tissues and organs (known as necrosis)
  • Potentially fighting cancer, neurodegenerative disease and other illnesses

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Very interesting. Thanks for posting about it. I had no idea that it could involve all of that.