Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever ask for or been recommended to receive a screening chest Xray?

I know a second person who has received a delayed lung cancer diagnosis. It seems that a screening Xray would have value if the goal is early detection. 

I understand about un-necessary radiation and insurance rules. Is this a test that is doable and valuable but not offered to the masses. It seems more and more that health care IS reationed. It is rationed by insured vs uninsured. Rationed by age. Rationed by which insurance you have.   I was talking to my doc about the the calcium score. Her remark was "insurance doesn't pay." Me: I don't care. Doc: "that's executive medicine" Me: I'm an executive. Make the appointment. "

On the same topic, has anyone had a private pay full body CT scan? Lots of advertising around the Dallas area. 

Honored Contributor

My husband receives a screening chest X-ray yearly at the VA due to being a smoker.   This has been a yearly requirement for at least 15+ years.

Super Contributor

@granddi   This addresses the other part of your post -- the calcium score.  My doctor wanted me to go for a cardiac stress test or a nuclear cardiac stress test.  I didn't want to do either.  He then ordered a coronary calcium scan to get my calcium score.  The test was quick, easy and my score was 11 -- thank goodness.  Medicare and my supplemental insurance (United HealthCare) paid for the test.

Honored Contributor

Re: Screening Chest Xray?

[ Edited ]

When my DH had a bad cough, he had a chest x-ray.  As for the whole body CT scan, unless there was a particular reason, why would anyone do that?  

What is a calcium score??

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

When my DH had a bad cough, he had a chest x-ray.  As for the whole body CT scan, unless there was a particular reason, why would anyone do that?  

What is a calcium score??

Lung cancer can be a  common occurrence in older people even in non smokers. 

CT scans seems to be the next test  to abnormal  chest x rays.

@kaydee50 I with you never heard of a calcium score.

Respected Contributor

10 MOST COMMON MISSED OR DELAYED DIAGNOSES BY MEDICAL CONDITION

Derived from 836 relevant cases from patient safety incident reports, malpractice claims, morbidity and mortality rounds (conferences that review patient deaths and complications), and focus group responses. Reported in JAMA Network Open.

1. Colorectal cancer
  2. Lung cancer
  3. Breast cancer
  4. Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
  5. Prostate cancer
  6. Stroke
  7. Sepsis
  8. Bladder cancer
  9. Pulmonary embolism
  10. Brain hemorrhage

My thought was: why is there no screening for lung cancer?

Valued Contributor

Re: Screening Chest Xray?

[ Edited ]

By the grace of God my lung cancer was discovered on a chest X-ray my physician recommended because I was a former smoker and monitored it.  I had NO SYMPTOMS.  I was at stage 1 ... but had the upper lobe of my lung removed.  I had no radiation or chemo.  Lung cancer moves very quickly and is almost undetectable until too late. I still have a surveillance X-ray or CT scan every year.  You have to live with your choice to decline an X-ray or get one ... but lung cancer is more prevalent than breast cancer yet it gets more publicity thru the pink campaign but young non-smoking women are #1 in lung cancer.  It's not really a decision you can afford to take for granted.    P.S. ...  if your doctor doesn't suggest getting an X-ray, tell him you want one ...

Respected Contributor

Thermography catches things earlier than xrays and ct scans. You can have an area done (ie chest) or full body.

Respected Contributor

@Pantsonfire2 Thank you for sharing!!!

Respected Contributor

I was a heavy smoker for many, many years. I stopped 11 years ago, but have COPD. Starting about 10 years ago, my doc sent me for a lung scan and all was well until last Nov. when a mass was found in my left lower lobe. Went for pet scan which showed mass had shrunk some, same with next scan. I go again in Dec. for another scan and depending on findings, may need a biopsy Fingers crossed.