Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Insurers don't pay for screening chest x-rays. They haven't paid for them in many years.  If a person has symptoms and the doctor orders a chest xray, that is NOT a screening xray,  it's diagnostic.  Same with full body CT scans, no insurer pays for them unless there is documented medical necessity.  Doctors don't take orders from patients when it comes to medical tests and imaging, everything must follow established clinical criteria.  But you can find a boutique or concierge practice that bills patient's directly and doesn't participate or bill any insurer.  

The gist of my thoughts was that given the underdiagnosis of lung cancer (per AMA,AARP) why are patients not given screening chest x-rays. We have screening mamograms, colonoscopy, bone density,glaucoma screening, skin cancer.............

Most health care consumers undertstand the rules. I did not intend to imply that I had demanded a physician to order x ray.  Of  course, one can private pay medical procedures.

Lung Cancer(lung disease) is deadly. But early detection is the best defense. Why not screen? Just a discussion.......

Esteemed Contributor
@granddi wrote
The gist of my thoughts was that given the underdiagnosis of lung cancer (per AMA,AARP) why are patients not given screening chest x-rays. We have screening mamograms, colonoscopy, bone density,glaucoma screening, skin cancer.............

Most health care consumers undertstand the rules. I did not intend to imply that I had demanded a physician to order x ray.  Of  course, one can private pay medical procedures.

Lung Cancer(lung disease) is deadly. But early detection is the best defense. Why not screen? Just a discussion.......

@granddi 

Screening@granddi  what is your exact medical definition of that word? 

You say Colonoscopy under your listings of screeningHaving had 16 of them, I never heard, or saw the word, screening on any pre-procedure papers I signed, nor! On any of the written or pictorial results I have been given for almost all or them since.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Screening Chest Xray?

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

When my DH had a bad cough, he had a chest x-ray.  As for the whole body CT scan, unless there was a particular reason, why would anyone do that?  

What is a calcium score??

@kaydee50 

A calcium-score screening heart test (coronary calcium scan) uses computerized tomography (CT) to detect calcium deposits in the coronary arteries of your heart. A higher coronary calcium-score suggests you have a higher chance of significant narrowing in the coronary arteries and a higher risk of future heart attack.

If anyone wants to argue that this the terminology used is wrong, they need to contact Cleveland Clinic, probably the most highly respected hospital in the country.