Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti :  I got my Shindrex from Safeway;  if you are over 65, no prescription necessary and no cost!!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHINGLES ROUND TWO!

[ Edited ]

@patbz 

How thoughtful of you to remember this and think to let me know there is the possibility of a free or affordable Shingrex shot.  Unfortunately for me, the nearest Safeway is 600 miles away.  I have called around to see if I can find it affordably in my area, but no luck so far.  Thank you again for thinking of me...you made my day with your act of kindness.  Glad you were able to take advantage of this great deal from Safeway.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SchippyLuv wrote:

I had a serious bout of Shingles last year and I was in absolute agony for three months. I was recovering nicely after that, but the pain never completely went away. I received my Shingrix series of two shots in October and December last year.

Last week I was diagnosed ~again~... Has that happened to anyone else after being vaccinated with Shingrix?

I'm on anti-virals and it's not nearly as bad this time, but I'm exhausted and pretty bummed out...

@SchippyLuv 

Ask your doctor to check your immune globulins.  I don't make antibodies and had shingles several times.  I had flu even with flu shot.  It occured to my neurologist I might have no immunity. She checked and I did not.  Just to be sure, I was checked at the Cancer Center, and their findings were the same.  I do not make antibodies. So you need to stay out of crowds, especially during flu/pneumonia season.  

@Nonametoday  I have an autoimmune disease whereby my immune system is overactive. It makes too many antibodies and attacks everthing in my body. I cannot receive flu shots, vaccines, etc... anymore. As soon as flu season begins(now) I have to wear a mask every where I go, and avoid crowds. It’s such a pain, but it beats the alternative.  

Super Contributor

@keithsmom65 

I'm so sorry I'm just now seeing this...

The only thing that helped me for the pain was roll-on Lidocaine. My doc gave me a prescription for opiods but I swear they just made the pain worse.

I do hope you're at least getting better by now. The course of the pain of Shingles is unpredicatable. My first round was excruciating for a full three months and I still have Post Herpatic pain that I'm sure I'll have to live with for the rest of my life.

I'll pray that your course is easier...

Esteemed Contributor

I've been on a wait list for the shot for 6 months at Target. 
Today My Dr told me they had it at Publix. 
  I asked him about downtime since I've been keeping up with forums and so many people have reactions. 
  He told me it's because it boosts the immune system and I need it. So, I talked to the pharmacist at Publix and she said they have it. She asked if I wanted it today and I said "NO!" LOL!  She really laughed !

Then I asked multiple questions and she said some people don't react bad but to depend on a bad reaction. Also to move my arm a lot. I didn't ask the price. There is no option. 
   My Dr said three days of fever and aching but not bedridden. AND to get it. 
   I told the pharmacist I will get it Friday because it's supposed to be rainy 4 days after and I can not walk dogs as much anyhow and binge on the Hallmark Chanel.

Then, to do it all again in 4-6 months! 

Contributor

I had shingles in June 2018.  It was not easy to get through and I still have some tingling and itching on my back where the blisters were located. I got the two dose Shingrix vaccines later this past year.

I went to my doctor a couple of weeks ago to get my flu shot. I told the nurse that I had a rash around my waist so the doctor peaked in to have a look and told me it was shingles again. Now two weeks later and they are almost healed up.  What a difference this was compared to the last time!  I attribute this much better experience to the vaccine. 

By the way, I did have a reaction to the second Shringrix vaccine. I felt unwell for 2 or 3 days, but better than being miserable for 2 or 3 months.

Esteemed Contributor

@samlet  I'm glad you are better this time! I was hoping that with the shots it would be a milder case if it comes. I'm glad it was for you! 
 I had the old shot years ago but they say Shingrix is better.  I've waited forever to find it in my area. Finally my Dr said it's at Publix and I've talked to them.
  I get my first shot Friday and will have done all major errands, etc before. With the 2 dogs I have to walk them even if I feel bad but they have a fenced area so that helps. 
   Take care and recover soon!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think most of the pharmacys have them.  I got mine a few monhs ago at Walgreens--$20. each.    

Honored Contributor
How long should you wait before you get the second shingles shot? I have read 2-6 months....seems like a wide span of time. Would it be better to not wait and get it sooner than later?
Esteemed Contributor

@SchippyLuv wrote:

I had a serious bout of Shingles last year and I was in absolute agony for three months. I was recovering nicely after that, but the pain never completely went away. I received my Shingrix series of two shots in October and December last year.

Last week I was diagnosed ~again~... Has that happened to anyone else after being vaccinated with Shingrix?

I'm on anti-virals and it's not nearly as bad this time, but I'm exhausted and pretty bummed out...

Besides the vaccine not being 100% effective , the way in which the vaccine was administered  can affect the effectiveness of the vaccine.  Such as If it was administered accidently in a blood vessel instead of fully in the deltoid muscle . The same goes for the flu vaccine.