Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree   Do you know if you (one) has to wait a particular period of time after you get your flu shot before you can get your shingles shot?  I was wondering because you mentioned getting your shingles shot a month later so is it recommended to wait ?

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@chrystaltree   Do you know if you (one) has to wait a particular period of time after you get your flu shot before you can get your shingles shot?  I was wondering because you mentioned getting your shingles shot a month later so is it recommended to wait ?

I don't know, I didn't ask my doc when she said she couldn't give me the shingles vaccine.  I tried Googling but I didn't get the answer I was looking for so I thought I might as well wait a month.  I say that because a few years ago when my job made us take the TB test,  I had just had my flu shot a week before and they told me that I should wait a month for the TB test.  Completely different things, I know.  

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv @chrystaltree @sarahpanda @Drythe @vsm 

DH just walked in and told me he really doesn't feel well..he got .shingrix shot #1 yesterday.

*sorry...tech problems here can't correct

He felt he had a fever (slight) and his arm is sore. 

I just messaged my PCP through the portal to ask if I should have a flu shot and a Shingrex shot. (Knowing the answer will be yes.)

The place where DH got his yesterday is our neighborhood Kroger.  They told him not to get both at once.

I'm not going there for my shots again!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@LTT1   I was told by a friend and also the nurse @ the local health dept that the shingles shot would make you feel really bad for about 2 days.  In fact, the nurse at the health dept. urged me that when I got my shingles shot, to be sure to allow myself a few days to recover because ''it would make you feel awful''!   Sounds like your DH is experiencing just what I was told by both people.  Good luck with that.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda 

I am getting the brush off through the PCP portal.

So I replied back that I had a white count in Nov 2017 of 25,000 marking a rxn.

Requested assurance that I would be getting a SINGLE vial shot at their office.

DH will like that the bad feeling is only for 2 days.

thank you for this info❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I just got the 2nd of the new shingrix shots and the first one didn't bother me at all other than the sore arm but the 2nd shot knocked me for a loop, it almost wiped me out from fatigue and aches for a full day, the the next day pretty much back to normal.

Honored Contributor

Here I thought your chance of them reoccurring dropped after the initial bout.

Trusted Contributor

I had shingles on my stomach about 5 years ago and have scars from it. I got the shingles shot and hoped that was the end of it.  5 weeks ago I broke out over my face and head, and I am still broken out and I am in the worst pain ever. It won't subside, even though I've done a course of Valtrex and live painted up in Calamine Lotion. The face is much more painful than my stomach, I can't concentrate on anything, sleep or eat. It's in my eyebrow and all around my mouth and all over my chin. My check is in full bloom still. I don't know how long this will continue. Before my mother died, we talked about childhood illnesses, and she swore I never had chickenpox but obviously she was incorrect. I wish I knew some other methods of coping with this pain. My face feels like every quarter of an inch it has been sliced with a box cutter and someone is massaging gasoline into it repeatedly. Any suggestions, ladies? Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor

After the first shot, I had just a sore arm. 
I recently got the second shot and had a sore arm and one night of chills.

My arm is still sore after 3 days.

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv wrote:

I had a serious bout of Shingles last year and I was in absolute agony for three months. I was recovering nicely after that, but the pain never completely went away. I received my Shingrix series of two shots in October and December last year.

Last week I was diagnosed ~again~... Has that happened to anyone else after being vaccinated with Shingrix?

I'm on anti-virals and it's not nearly as bad this time, but I'm exhausted and pretty bummed out...

@SchippyLuv 

Ask your doctor to check your immune globulins.  I don't make antibodies and had shingles several times.  I had flu even with flu shot.  It occured to my neurologist I might have no immunity. She checked and I did not.  Just to be sure, I was checked at the Cancer Center, and their findings were the same.  I do not make antibodies. So you need to stay out of crowds, especially during flu/pneumonia season.