Honored Contributor

Re: SHINGLES ROUND TWO!

[ Edited ]

@ILTH wrote:

I'd been wondering about the need for and efficacy of the shot after having had a very bad bout of shingles. I can't seem to get a definitive answer. 

“In adults 50 to 69 years old who got two doses, Shingrix was 97% effective in preventing shingles; among adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 91% effective. In adults 50 to 69 years old who got two doses, Shingrix was 91% effective in preventing PHN; among adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 89% effective.Jan 25, 2018”

Trusted Contributor

@SchippyLuv 

I feel your pain!  I've had shingles 4 times and the one thing that helped me was large doses of L-lysine.  It is an amino acid and it has helped many people I know.  I get the 1,000 mg. at Walmart.  I took 2,000 mg AM, mid-day, & PM and got noticeable relief.  It is not a cure, but it helps and I believe shortens the suffering.  I have only had the original Shingles vaccine, Shingrix is too expensive for me right now.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

Id be concerned your immune system is not operating properly.  Anyone who gets shingles should get it checked because your immune system is not working properly to defend against it.  My doctor told me to  consume Vitamin D because he believes there is  a link between Vitamin D deficiency and shingles. My Vitamin D level was 24 but I have raised it to 38 taking Andrew Lessman.

Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Id be concerned your immune system is not operating properly.  Anyone who gets shingles should get it checked because your immune system is not working properly to defend against it.  My doctor told me to  consume Vitamin D because he believes there is  a link between Vitamin D deficiency and shingles. My Vitamin D level was 24 but I have raised it to 38 taking Andrew Lessman.

Between personal experience and  research/medical studies, this seems to be a valid hypothesis. 

Honored Contributor

I’m so sorry.  My mother had it and I took care of her.

A lady at CVS pharmacy came in to get medicine.  She had it inside her eye and down her face.  

Sje he almost lost sight in that eye!

Respected Contributor

@SchippyLuvWhat an ordeal.  Try to stay hopeful -- you will absolutely get through this!

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

@SchippyLuv 

I feel your pain!  I've had shingles 4 times and the one thing that helped me was large doses of L-lysine.  It is an amino acid and it has helped many people I know.  I get the 1,000 mg. at Walmart.  I took 2,000 mg AM, mid-day, & PM and got noticeable relief.  It is not a cure, but it helps and I believe shortens the suffering.  I have only had the original Shingles vaccine, Shingrix is too expensive for me right now.

@HavartiSince you've had shingles 4 times (I can't even imagine how tough that must have been) and can't afford the Shingrix yet, it might be worth asking your doctor if the company that makes it offers price reductions in special cases.  Fingers crossed for you.

Honored Contributor

I finally was able to get my first shot a couple of weeks ago and searching for a pharmacy or doctor’s office that had it in stock. My arm has hurt since I got the shot...can’t even sleep on that side...dr said that was normal. The only time I ever saw my dear grandmother cry was when she had shingles...I will never forget seeing her in such pain when I was only about 12 years old. 

I hope you are feeling much better soon and this bout is very short-lived.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m sorry, sending you flowers, 🌹🌷💐🌸🌺🌼🌻

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv   What I am thinking is because you had Shingles once and then did the shots, it did not take as well as it should because you previously had Shingles.  Ask your doctor.  So sorry that happened to you.  Everyone case is different.  My aunit had Shingles and she said it was no big deal and was given anti-biotics.  I had both shots and so far I am okay.

kindness is strength