Super Contributor

I had a serious bout of Shingles last year and I was in absolute agony for three months. I was recovering nicely after that, but the pain never completely went away. I received my Shingrix series of two shots in October and December last year.

Last week I was diagnosed ~again~... Has that happened to anyone else after being vaccinated with Shingrix?

I'm on anti-virals and it's not nearly as bad this time, but I'm exhausted and pretty bummed out...

Respected Contributor

OMG - You poor thing.  That is terrible pain.  I had a mild case about 10 years ago.  Had the Shingrix vaccine last year.  So far I've been good.  I hope this is a mild case because you had the vaccine.  Will keep you in my prayers.

Trusted Contributor

@SchippyLuv  You have my deepest sympathies.  I got shingles (a couple of years after getting the old shot) about 2 years ago--on my face and head.  It was disgusting-looking, not to mention painful.  Had to stay home from work for about 3 weeks and I looked and felt like a prize fighter who lost the fight!

Just started the new vaccine 3 weeks ago.  Sincerely hope I never get shingles ever again!  Your post isn't reassuring--this new shot was supposed to be better.  These darned germs and viruses are getting too smart for us!

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv.   I feel for you and hope you make a quick recovery.  It must be very disheartening to have to face this again.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

That's so awful, @SchippyLuv .  You have all my sympathy.  Before you got your recent shots, had you told the doctor you were still in pain from your last bout?  I'd have thought continuing pain would be a reason to delay the shot.  Hoping you feel much better very soon.

Trusted Contributor

I'd been wondering about the need for and efficacy of the shot after having had a very bad bout of shingles. I can't seem to get a definitive answer. 

Honored Contributor

Re: SHINGLES ROUND TWO!

[ Edited ]

Shingrix is not 100% effective and if you are 70yo and older then it's efficacy drops even more to about 89%. At best the vaccine is 97% effective at preventing the shingles under age 70 but only 91% effective at preventing nerve pain. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html

Super Contributor

@vsmI've never been out of pain since my first bout of Shingles started 14 months ago. They will give the shot as soon as it's available and as soon as the rash clears, which is usually about 6 weeks after onset.

@ILTHFrom the research I've done, the worse your first bout is, the more important it is to get your vaccinations done. Shingrix has a 90% success rate and it will at least make your second round less bad. I just happen to be in the unlucky 10%...

Sigh...

Super Contributor

Here's a link to a really good article about Shingles from ScienceNews:

www.sciencenews.org/article/shingles-virus-rash-chicken-pox-complications

Trusted Contributor

@SchippyLuv wrote:

@vsmI've never been out of pain since my first bout of Shingles started 14 months ago. They will give the shot as soon as it's available and as soon as the rash clears, which is usually about 6 weeks after onset.

@ILTHFrom the research I've done, the worse your first bout is, the more important it is to get your vaccinations done. Shingrix has a 90% success rate and it will at least make your second round less bad. I just happen to be in the unlucky 10%...

Sigh...

@SchippyLuv 

Thank you.