Esteemed Contributor

I took a nasty spill while hiking and got road rash on my forearm above my elbow.  Because of the location, it's uncomfortable to bend my arm.

It's scabbed over and I keep it moisturized with Neosporin or an oil, but that wears away after an hour.

Does anyone have suggestions for comfort?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hey honeybee, sorry to hear about your boo-boo!

I use 100% aloe vera gel  (& antibiotic cream if needed) on skin irritations and other problems.

It's natural, soothing, cooling, moisturizing, and healing.

My fave is from Fruit of the Earth, and you can get it at Walmart and other places.

At least you were doing something good for your health when you took your spill.  ;-)

Props for hiking for exercise!

Honored Contributor

I just had a skin cancer removed from my face leaving quite a long incision.  They told me to keep it covered with Vasaline.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My husband's skin is thin, and because of his diabetes, we take every cut or scratch very seriously.  One of the things he does to keep ointment on longer, is cut the foot off one of his cotton diabetic socks, and use the upper part of the sock as a slip on bandage.  Since his injuries are usually on an arm or leg, this type of bandage works very well to keep whatever ointment he has used on the scratch or cut, but not on his clothing, recliner, or the bed sheets.   Now that you have an established scab, I would also choose Vaseline, or Vitamin E oil.   Best wishes to you.   

Esteemed Contributor

Hi groovy, thanks!  I completely forgot about alo vera! 

Since it's pink and scabby, it itches like mad.  When I bend my arm, it's even worse.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just had a skin cancer removed from my face leaving quite a long incision.  They told me to keep it covered with Vasaline.

I'm so sorry to hear that!  Here's to a speedy recovery and thank you for the tip.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My husband's skin is thin, and because of his diabetes, we take every cut or scratch very seriously.  One of the things he does to keep ointment on longer, is cut the foot off one of his cotton diabetic socks, and use the upper part of the sock as a slip on bandage.  Since his injuries are usually on an arm or leg, this type of bandage works very well to keep whatever ointment he has used on the scratch or cut, but not on his clothing, recliner, or the bed sheets.   Now that you have an established scab, I would also choose Vaseline, or Vitamin E oil.   Best wishes to you.   

Great advise, RedTop!  When I put the Neosporin on it, it rubs off because I set my arm on something. 

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Hi groovy, thanks!  I completely forgot about alo vera! 

Since it's pink and scabby, it itches like mad.  When I bend my arm, it's even worse.

Anytime!

I always keep aloe around, as it's great for skin irritations everywhere.

Use cortisone cream for the itchiness that tells you that your owie is on the mend.  8)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Road Rash Question

[ Edited ]

@HonnyBrown  I would just caution you to keep your eye out for a blood infection. I had a similar road rash on my forearm and noticed about 5-6 days in that I had red lines going from the injury up to my arm, an indication of blood poisoning. Sure enough, went to the doc and he confirmed it, treated with antibiotics. Important to catch it early!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Anytime!

I always keep aloe around, as it's great for skin irritations everywhere.

Use cortisone cream for the itchiness that tells you that your owie is on the mend.  8)

Hi groovy!  I picked up some aloe vera this morning at the drug store.  It was a different brand, a gel.  It soothed on contact and the itching wasn't as bad today.

I cut one of my husband's new socks open at the toe and put that over the gel and bandage.  It prevented the goo from getting all over everything.