Valued Contributor

Re: Remember this?

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee - last year I had visitors from out of town who live at sea level. They wanted to see Manitou, Pikes Peak, etc, so I took them down there (I'm in Boulder). They insisted that they wanted to do the Manitou Incline. I told them why they could not/should not, having just stepped off a plane less than 24 hours earlier but they wouldn't listen. I have a hiarious video clip of them starting up the Incline, going about 25 feet ..and then turning back around, barely able to breathe. When they finally caught their breath, they said, "Ok, you were really right about that high altitude thing!"  So funny.  

Trusted Contributor

I used to love step. I just cleaned out a bunch of old VHS tapes a couple of months ago and found a bunch of step ones. I made a list of the titles I liked in case I ever want to do it again. My current apartment setup doesn't leave me much room.

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove 

Yes, the altitude and thin air will get you before you know it. One woman who I worked with moved here from Texas where she lived all of her life. She taught aerobics classes on the side. One day she asked me if she could come with me on my next trip up the Incline and I thought since she was a fitness instructor it would be okay...but it was not! She couldn't catch her breath and the steps were more than she could handle. We had to turn around and go back down after only ten minutes. She was shocked how difficult it was. But it's not really if you train for it first. It's a good thing you were there with your visitors. At least they were warned. Like the sign says...'is not a walk in the park'.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes! I had one a long time ago. Now I step on the real thing called the Manitou Incline. That has over 2,700 steps UP. Killer workout once a week and sometimes twice depending on the weather.

download.jpg

I'm an avid hiker in the Colorado mountains. The Manitou incline keeps me in shape for most of the hikes. High altitude trails are difficult and if you are not in shape, forget about it.

I'm tired just looking at it! *lol*

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

As someone who had her knees replaced about 2 years ago, and a few operations before that......

Watch your knees.  You'd get similar exercise going up and down the stairs.

I hope you're young.  I love to watch basketball.  Basketball players have notorious terrible knees.  

I don't know how hard that surface is but if you're coming up over and over and down on hard surfaces, it's terrible for the knees.

As high as that is, it's not very good for the knees.  Hopefully, you are't very heavy.

OK, the mom in me will sit down and shut up.  You name it, I've done it and tried it...

I used to do step aerobics.  I did it for about a year from a teacher who constantly said it had to be done right.  She'd come over and show us how to do it.  She'd never have it that high.  Maybe we were all duds but it would never be that high.

Honored Contributor

I had one. A video came with it. Gosh that seems like such a long time ago. Great exercise!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes! I had one a long time ago. Now I step on the real thing called the Manitou Incline. That has over 2,700 steps UP. Killer workout once a week and sometimes twice depending on the weather.

download.jpg

I'm an avid hiker in the Colorado mountains. The Manitou incline keeps me in shape for most of the hikes. High altitude trails are difficult and if you are not in shape, forget about it.

@SilleeMee  Very nice!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  thanks for sharing....I didn't even take into consideration the "thin" air (live in the midwest) Oh boy I'd be doing good just not getting altitude sickness walking around in your state.  

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@SilleeMee  thanks for sharing....I didn't even take into consideration the "thin" air (live in the midwest) Oh boy I'd be doing good just not getting altitude sickness walking around in your state.  

Woman LOL

You're welcome @tsavorite .

The US Olympic Training Center is located here in Colorado Springs. The high altitude has it's advantages for athletes. It gives them more natural stamina. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   Thanks for the heads up.  I had double knee AND double hip replacement  ....so I know about  bad joints as you do! I plan To only do the lowest setting on the stepper.  I hope that will not be too much.