Super Contributor

Has anyone had any luck with any medication for OAB that doesn't cost a fortune?  Vesicare worked pretty well, but after my samples ran out, it was $300 per month to have filled. That's not happening!  I tried Oxybutrin (sp?), but that didn't do much. Anyone have any recommendations?

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

@MercysMomYou just made my day!  I use Vesicare and I thought my $50 co-pay for 90 was high.  I think it was just $25 only 2 years ago.

Nothing else works as well as Vesicare for me, so based on what you wrote I need to hope my insurance doesn't up the co-pay again very soon.

Wish I had a solution for you - it's truly an irritating problem.

Respected Contributor

Check online. Brand names not covered or covered with high co-pays often offer discount coupon cards. 

Honored Contributor

Now doctors are offering botox shots for this problem. My dental assistant's mom had it done. I'm not suggesting it, just saying that it sees botox is used for everything. She said it worked well and for a long time. 

It's a shame insurance companies don't cover more of these drugs. Some of them are very pricey.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Relief for OAB

[ Edited ]
@MercysMom wrote:

Has anyone had any luck with any medication for OAB that doesn't cost a fortune?  Vesicare worked pretty well, but after my samples ran out, it was $300 per month to have filled. That's not happening!  I tried Oxybutrin (sp?), but that didn't do much. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hi @MercysMom,

I would say to talk to your pharmacy and your doctor's office.

I was in the same situation as you, regarding the cost of a bladder control medication. The one that the doctor's office initially wanted me to take also cost $300.

I called the pharmacy and asked about other cost-effective medications.

The pharmacy knows the costs of medications. The doctor's offices don't always know what a prescription is going to cost a patient.

Personally, if the cost of a medication is too much for me, I will talk to the pharmacy and see if there is another alternative. 

In this particular situation, I also happened to be allergic to a common bladder medication, so the pharmacy and the doctor's office had to find a medication that I could take, that would not cause an allergic reaction for me.

Valued Contributor

Try taking Pumpkin seed oil , It will strenghthen your bladder over time , I have been taking it for years and I have a prolapse bladder , Pumpkin seed oil also helps lower cholesterol and as an added bonus ...It is pretty cheap.I take 100 mg in morning with breakfast and 1000 mg . aT night with supper.It helps me .

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

You have to take pumpkin seed oil   regularly [everyday]to reap its benefit to streghthen your bladder and its abot 6 dollars a bottle for 30 capsules.

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

PLease excuse my typing errors , I have really bad arthritis in my hands , I want to correct the anmount of pumpkin seed oil , Take 1000 mg in the morning and in the evening with supper , Limit caffiene intake , Also do not take with just plain coffee or it will have a laxative effect ,

cathy from ma' 

Honored Contributor

@MercysMom wrote:

@MercysMom

You need to talk to your doctor about this .... Oxy is a very good med for this, but if they gave you the time release, they aren't very effective.   It's safe, cheap and has been around forever, so no new med surprises with this one.     Maybe you just need the dosage altered.