Esteemed Contributor

I posted earlier in this year about a woman with odd behavior and such.  I've come to the conclusion that she must have Aspergers.  Another I've spoken with about her concluded the same. 

How do people like that get the help they need?  Is there any help at all.  She's going to be 58 years old and she doesn't know why people avoid her and don't include her in anything.  She just completely wears me out and I won't have anything much to do with her at all either.  Suggestions or recommendations?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

May I ask what your qualifications are for making such a diagnosis?

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I posted earlier in this year about a woman with odd behavior and such.  I've come to the conclusion that she must have Aspergers.  Another I've spoken with about her concluded the same. 

How do people like that get the help they need?  Is there any help at all.  She's going to be 58 years old and she doesn't know why people avoid her and don't include her in anything.  She just completely wears me out and I won't have anything much to do with her at all either.  Suggestions or recommendations?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four wrote:

May I ask what your qualifications are for making such a diagnosis?

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Good diagnosis tries to be as scientific as possible. The term "odd" is subjective, and therefore would be out of place as part of a diagnosis. The term "such", being equally non descriptive, would not likely appear in a diagnosis either.

Honored Contributor

Since you don't want anything to do with her, what do you think could/would be accomplished by you learning what sort of help might be available to her?

The fact that she is working and her employer feels she is competent in her job is all that is relevant to you. If she had any condition that rendered her completely unable to co-exist with others, she wouldn't be there. The fact that she is an annoyance to you is just one of those things.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The woman would have to commit some "overt behavior" that would link her to services, or relatives could become her guardian because of her behavior.

Her civil rights would protect her from someone interfering with her life.

Honored Contributor

Re: Aspergers Anyone?

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

The woman would have to commit some "overt behavior" that would link her to services, or relatives could become her guardian because of her behavior.

Her civil rights would protect her from someone interfering with her life.

And being annoyingly socially inappropriate is a loooong way from the above.

I was in a large social group for many years with one Aspergers-inclined person. We basically ignored her, or when any one of us had had enough, told her to wait her turn and/or ST*U. It had very little effect. It might stop her for 10 min. but then she'd turn around and do it again.

The ST*U is not appropriate for the workplace, however, and would likely get the OP fired 👹

Honored Contributor

Hey OP, where did you get your medical degree? and where did your co-worker get hers? Your post strikes me personally as very unkind. I'm guessing you may not be the sweetest rose in the bunch with that attitude.

Leave her alone, it's none of your business. And maybe try a little kinder attitude, even if you wish to not interact with her. A little kindness goes a long way. Give it a shot.

Honored Contributor

Re: Aspergers Anyone?

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Are you really trying to help her? If you are it is a strange way to do it...... Unless you are a clinician working in the field of psychiatry, you have absolutely no idea whether the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome fits whatever behavior you obviously find fault with.

Save yourself the trouble of insulting her by giving her suggestions on how to get help. You may find her telling you to MYOB....which is intrusiveness into others lives being indicative of people with their own issues.

Frequent Contributor

My husband has this.  It is very tough to be diagnosed in the later years.  Mostly because people learn how to adapt and/or hide some of the behavior. It is a long hard never ending road. 

Honored Contributor

@photodreamr wrote:

My husband has this.  It is very tough to be diagnosed in the later years.  Mostly because people learn how to adapt and/or hide some of the behavior. It is a long hard never ending road. 

Like other types of autism spectrum disorders and physical genetic spectrum disorders, there are degrees along a scale of how life-affecting something may or may not be.

@photodreamr, I would assume your husband's issues are relatively mild and manageable since he fell in love with you, courted you, and you accepted - he must be "lovable." I think him being made aware, and being supported and helped by you, is more than half the battle. Good for you! 🌞