Valued Contributor

It is an autoimmune diseasewhich causes the skin to harden.It progresses at different rates and sometimes runs in families so there may be a genetic componant to it , It is a very difficult disease to live with.

cathy fro ma.

Honored Contributor

When I had periodental surgery on my gums they gave me a flouride toothpaste and rinse to use until it was used up. 

After using it for about a week, it turned my tongue black and there was no amount of scrubbing that would take it off.  I didn't finish it.   

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

When I had periodental surgery on my gums they gave me a flouride toothpaste and rinse to use until it was used up. 

After using it for about a week, it turned my tongue black and there was no amount of scrubbing that would take it off.  I didn't finish it.   

@CelticCrafter, how long before your tongue was back to normal? That sounds scary.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana - it was another week before it was completely gone and back to normal.

Honored Contributor

Our youngest son (in his 30's) just had surgery to correct receding gums.  They took skin from the roof of his mouth to transplant to the area and it was a huge success.  He has one more to go and will make an appt first thing next year.  While this problem never corrects itself, there are techniques to correct it.  He's very happy with the outcome.  Woman Happy  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I use Prevident too, but for dry mouth. Last winter I had gingival (gum) grafts for receding gums. My gums have been receding since my forties and I have never had a problem with plaque. The dentist mentioned that I was brushing the gums off my teeth, to quit using a hard bristled tooth brush. You really should see a periodontist who specializes in gum disease.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Receding Gums

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

I had my semi-annual dental checkup yesterday and the dentist told me I have receding gums.  He told me this is an age related issue and I have noticed it myself.  He prescribed Prevident 5000 a prescription toothpaste.

I was wondering if anyone has used this (or any other product) for receding gums and did it work?  You can't bring back gum that has already receded but this is to keep the gums from getting worse.

Thanks.

http://www.silicateeth.com/tag/silica-for-teeth/...it seems to be working...not only for my gums/teeth...but my aching joints, more energy..age spots have disappeared...along with stretch marks from 2 pregnancies..I could go on..its a miracle..and cheap too!!!! I get food grade diatomaceous earth..(silica) My dog takes it too...!

This is the BRAND I use..https://www.earthworkshealth.com/ ITS VERY inexpensive and I think they have free shipping now too..! xxx

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West