Respected Contributor

Recently my right hand developed pain so bad I can’t do the basic things as cut my food, open things, butter my toast and pick up my coffee cup. I saw the doctor and they did an x-ray if my hand and because of the swelling and redness said it was osteoarthritis. I have been on Prednisolone twice now that took the edge off it but it is worse again as soon as I get off it. I am typing with my left hand which also takes me longer.

Due to my A-Fib and pancreatitis I am limited on meds I can take. Aleve was always helpful before I had these problems but I know longer can take that.

I have iced my hand, used heat and rested my hand but not much relief if any. I open and shut my hand during the day to try and keep it loose and rest it but no help. I never realized how much we use our hands and appreciate having my left hand right now. Thank God my husband is so loving and helpful. 

I have a few gadgets that I bought a long time ago to help open some cans but putting any pressure against my hand is very painful.

Has anyone used a compression glove or anything that would ease the pain? I will see the doctor on Tuesday and see where I go from here.

Thank you for any suggestions.

I miss using my iPad also but even more doing my crocheting as I can’t finish a project I am working on. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoarthritis in hand pain

I don’t have any suggestions but I’m sorry for your pain. I have arthritis in some fingers and seemed to develop without warning. I’m not a doctor but could you use a gel like Emu Oil to rub on your hand? DH uses a prescription topical cream for his painful knee.

Respected Contributor

I have tried Aspercreme and BenGay-that now has odor that disappears. I didn’t see any difference but maybe there is something else.  It sure makes you appreciate what we have in our hands.

Thanks for the kind response.

Honored Contributor

I can sympathize more now since I’ve experienced discomfort somewhere on my body. The reason I mentioned the topical cream /gel my husband was prescribed because it helps him with the arthritis in the knee which was originally prescribed for plantar fasciitis.

When Emu oil first hit the market many years ago, people raved about it for arthritis pain. Now that I’m older I can see where it can help me.

Esteemed Contributor

For the past few days I've been using something called Pennsaid on my one knee and joint at the base of one thumb which is all swollen & achy from arthritis. It really gives relief. It actually belongs to one of my sons who was given it (a bunch of boxes of samples) for something or other but he told me to try it when I was complaining a few days ago about my aches & pains in those two spots especially. Looking at one of the boxes the samples come in it appears the main ingredient in it is called diclofenac sodium 2% w/w. Maybe you can ask your doctor about getting a prescription for it. The box does say Rx only.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have kidney disease and so I can't take NSAID drugs that are usually prescribed for arthritis sufferers. I have fallen a few times and injured my knees , so they are both weak and painful. My doctor finally decided to give me a Rx for tramadol. It has been a Godsend for me.I can take up to 3 a day but I've never needed more than one in the morning.They are a controlled substance so I am careful not to take too much. I am already on prednisone for my asthma - believe me , you don't want the side effects of it if you can avoid using it.Round, moon face and weight gain in abdomen area for instance.

Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14, I don't know if this might help, but I have what I think is arthritis in the soft area between my thumb and index finger on both hands.  I use a roll-on like Biofreeze and really press it into the skin.  Then, while still damp with the roll-on, I massage in several drops of a high potency CBD oil.  It seems to take care of the pain.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@151949 @SXMGirl Thanks to all that responded to my post.

I believe I have taken Tramadol before and will discuss the meds you all suggested to my doctor. I know there are cortisone shots but not sure how long they would last if the doctor suggested it. 

Unfortunately there are no Rheumatologist in our area. The nearest one is about 40 miles away.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've recently tried a new product (ointment) for my leg pain.  It is called..

Asteeza website     (corrected)

It was formulated by a Cuban chemist here in Tampa.  When I talked to them, the gentleman suggested that I rub it into my hands after I applied it to my leg instead of washing it off!

I cannot tell you how it feels on your hands but it is great for my leg pain.  I can't put it on my hands because I interact with my dog all day and I don't want to get it on him although it would probably be OK.

It is made of all natural products.

Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14, just my opinion, but I would stay away from cortisone shots if you can.  I have had them all over my body and I think that they can do more harm than good.  Also, I have found that once your ortho starts you on shots, it can be a never-ending situation, because it just becomes easy for the doctor to tell you that you just need another shot.  I have been there and done that, which is why I have a new ortho.  Just be very careful when and if you start the shots.

Also, what works best for me, after much trial and error, is CBD oil drops that are put under the tongue.  My new ortho is monitoring that, but I have seen more pain relief with them than anything else.  I use them several times a day (not inexpensive), but it just needs to be extra-strength. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!