Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I had my semi-annual dental checkup yesterday and the dentist told me I have receding gums.  He told me this is an age related issue and I have noticed it myself.  He prescribed Prevident 5000 a prescription toothpaste.

I was wondering if anyone has used this (or any other product) for receding gums and did it work?  You can't bring back gum that has already receded but this is to keep the gums from getting worse.

Thanks.

@Winkk  I have had them for years( started in my early 30's.... some is from genetics... some is  from  age and some is how your jaw and teeth align.  I also use the  Fluoride paste 5000. And they do a real strong fluoride every 6 months that they apply to the teeth.  There is nothing going to fix it. They do not grow back.  Gentle brushing is really all you can do to prevent further damage.    

Honored Contributor

Re: Receding Gums

[ Edited ]

Research receding gumline and CoQ10. Taking it with Vit C should help. I take it but did not start taking if for that.

I have a problem with mine when I eat a lot of fruit. The acid is killer.

Also a good electric toothbrush really cleans your teeth a lot better than a regular toothbrush.

I hate to floss but I use those dental brushes every time I eat something. I also have one of those scalers the dentists use to scale the plaque from between my teeth.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Dental placque is a leading cause of receding gums. And advancing age generally decreases saliva flow and that helps add to placque encroachment.

Ideally, it’s time to go from semi annual checkups to quarterly dentist visits for cleanings to keep placque growth minimized and prevent more gum erosion.

Good oral regimens like careful brushing, flossing, and use of antibacterial rinses will make a difference when coupled with cleanings more frequent than twice a year. It is unlikely that a prescription toothpaste will be as beneficial as diligence and more frequent professional attention once gum damage is diagnosed. Not saying it isn’t good, but direct dental care works more successfully than any one product. 

@gizmogal  Yes! I forgot to add that I go every three months for my cleanings now because of the recession. Thanks for sharing that important info!

Respected Contributor

Re: Receding Gums

[ Edited ]

The GUM rubber tipped stimulator has helped my gums the most. It was recommended by a periodontist for a deep gum pocket. He said to push aggressively between the teeth at the gum line. I use it everyday on all my teeth.

My dentist said it is also important to brush at the gum line.

I have also changed the frequency of my checkups to three times a year.

ETA: I forgot, I also do oil pulling every day. My dentist doesn’t think much of it - because he says there are no studies proving that oil pulling helps oral health. I’m a believer though, because a few years ago, I had a deep gum pocket which required a referral to a periodontist. At my recent checkups, I have zero gum disease.

Honored Contributor

I have receding gums, too. Probably from age but I also have scleroderma and that is a big contributing factor. 

Honored Contributor

I use two products with fluoride. Colgate Kam gel which contains stannous fluoride, the most effective form of fluoride and I also use a mouth wash with the less effective form of sodium fluoride. Helps with the sensitivity associated with exposed roots and will also prevent decay.

Super Contributor

Use an air flosser!! Sonicare and waterpik both make one. I have gum recession and the use of the air flosser has stopped it completely. Use it after your electric toothbrush, takes like one minute. 

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@Suzeecat wrote:

My dentist prescribed Prevident 500 for dry mouth.  I think there are different formulas for different issues.  However, once I got the wrong "formula", at least according to the label.  It was for a different issue, although now I can't remember what that issue was, although I don't think it was for receding gums.  I compared labels to see what the difference was, and the active ingredient was the same, the percentage of it was the same, in fact, I could tell no difference!  I use it, but still have dry mouth.  I don't notice much difference.  I have to say that using it makes me nervous because I don't like the high level of flouride in it.  Something that I am instructed to put in my mouth, yet told not to swallow, makes me cautious. 

That's what I was thinking too @Suzeecat.  I think the directions say to make sure you don't swallow it and rinse completely.  That's sort of unnerving. 

Read the instructions again.  Mine says DO NOT RINSE. 

Respected Contributor

I was told that my gums were doing that, and I asked why they were doing this, but I had to figure it out myself. I was scrubbing my teeth to hard because plaque was always building up but that made my gums do that. So not I buy a childs GUM brand electric toothbrush it runs on batteries and I  just purchace it in the regular toothbrush isle. Usually they will be in colors and say crayola on them , these are milder than adult toothbrushes and you can replace the batteries yourseld. And no more reseading gums. I still use a regular toothbrush for the crevices in my teeth, so as not to distube my fillings And no more crazy comments that it looks like my back teeth weren't clean. Works wonderful for me and it will for you.I promise !!.

Respected Contributor

What is scleroderma ?