Respected Contributor

I had my semi-annual dental checkup yesterday and the dentist told me I have receding gums.  He told me this is an age related issue and I have noticed it myself.  He prescribed Prevident 5000 a prescription toothpaste.

I was wondering if anyone has used this (or any other product) for receding gums and did it work?  You can't bring back gum that has already receded but this is to keep the gums from getting worse.

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Now I recall - a previous dentist (20 years ago perhaps) recommended a special t-paste.  Prescription that cost around $11 a tube.  I moved on to another doc and it was never mentioned as a problem - nor any future docs.  Guess it's up to you - age is a factor - 'that's life".

Respected Contributor

My dentist prescribed Prevident 500 for dry mouth.  I think there are different formulas for different issues.  However, once I got the wrong "formula", at least according to the label.  It was for a different issue, although now I can't remember what that issue was, although I don't think it was for receding gums.  I compared labels to see what the difference was, and the active ingredient was the same, the percentage of it was the same, in fact, I could tell no difference!  I use it, but still have dry mouth.  I don't notice much difference.  I have to say that using it makes me nervous because I don't like the high level of flouride in it.  Something that I am instructed to put in my mouth, yet told not to swallow, makes me cautious. 

Honored Contributor

I have the opposite issue - I take prednisone for my asthma and it causes my gums to grow down over my teeth so the dentist has to use a lazer to cut them back every few years.

Honored Contributor

My dentist has also told me my gums are receding (I'm 68) and has led to decay underneath a crown that I have.  She has also recommended a prescription toothpaste that has more fluoride ($12/tube) and a mouthwash.  I've always had very good teeth but I understand the need to put more effort into keeping my teeth as I get older.  I would try whatever the dentist suggests as long as you trust him.

Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

My dentist prescribed Prevident 500 for dry mouth.  I think there are different formulas for different issues.  However, once I got the wrong "formula", at least according to the label.  It was for a different issue, although now I can't remember what that issue was, although I don't think it was for receding gums.  I compared labels to see what the difference was, and the active ingredient was the same, the percentage of it was the same, in fact, I could tell no difference!  I use it, but still have dry mouth.  I don't notice much difference.  I have to say that using it makes me nervous because I don't like the high level of flouride in it.  Something that I am instructed to put in my mouth, yet told not to swallow, makes me cautious. 

That's what I was thinking too @Suzeecat.  I think the directions say to make sure you don't swallow it and rinse completely.  That's sort of unnerving. 

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 - I've been going to my dentist for over 20 years and completely trust him.  I'm sure he wouldn't suggest something that would harm me.  The reason he is giving this to me is because of what you said.  As the gums recede decay can get down in there because the tissue is softer than you teeth. 

Valued Contributor

I have receding gums - partly from age,  partly from adult braces,  but I was prescribed

Clinpro 5000 - a fluroide toothaste.  I also use Paradontax - an OTC brand.  They have helped  reduce sensitivity - especially since I deal with a Cavitron cleaning (sonic) 3 times a year and that hurts a lot.     The home care and frequent office cleaning has kept me stable but I don't think it will make any improvements.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I’ve been using Prevident 5000 for many years. It helps protect the teeth under, and at the gum line from decay.

I have caps and as gums recede (I’m 66) food gets caught decay sets in. 

The toothpaste helps. For dry mouth I use Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. Dry mouth also leads to tooth decay since saliva normally  cleans the teeth.

Trusted Contributor

Dental placque is a leading cause of receding gums. And advancing age generally decreases saliva flow and that helps add to placque encroachment.

Ideally, it’s time to go from semi annual checkups to quarterly dentist visits for cleanings to keep placque growth minimized and prevent more gum erosion.

Good oral regimens like careful brushing, flossing, and use of antibacterial rinses will make a difference when coupled with cleanings more frequent than twice a year. It is unlikely that a prescription toothpaste will be as beneficial as diligence and more frequent professional attention once gum damage is diagnosed. Not saying it isn’t good, but direct dental care works more successfully than any one product.