Trusted Contributor
Just keep in mind that you still have to quit the ecigs,you are still getting nicotine in your system. My dd is totally hooked on the esmokes,just the same addiction as smoking. I quit last Feb.and it is really hard. But as long as you are still pumping the nicotine you will be addicted.Set yourself a date to get off them.And Good Luck!!!!
Super Contributor

Congratulations everyone, and best of luck on your new (and continuing) smoke free journey!

Timely thread for me. I got fed up the day after Thanksgiving after 36 years of smoking and said, "enough already, I'm doing this cold turkey!" I had planned on quitting sooner in my life, but had built up in my mind it was going to be so much worse then it has been - I was thinking horrible physical withdrawal symptoms, mood swings and food cravings that will cause weight gain, but it hasn't been so. Yay! I've been told by ex-smokers the first three days are the worst for withdrawal symptoms. My only issue so far - not really thinking, I had a beer the other night, and I knew right away THAT was a dumb idea so soon. But I didn't smoke! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Good Luck! I just past my one year mark of quitting after 40 plus years of smoking! It CAN BE DONE! I have mostly done cold turkey but do have a e cig that is more of an emotional crutch than a real one. I used it at the beginning but now I have one in my car and one in my office at home and they are there if I get the urge...............I never do anymore, or if I do now I can definitely fight it off. Do I miss smoking yep............would I go back........nope! My breathing is so bad from the years of abuse it keeps me away from them, I only wish I didn't wait so long to quit, but am happy I did! The money savings alone is great! I found it helpful to talk about it, that's just me, so vent and talk and keep the faith/quit! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Good for you! Keep on keepin' on. As soon as you trip up you have to start over. I'm concerned about him, though. I hope he's not smoking behind the scenes. But you owe it to yourself to keep up the good fight, and I hope he sticks with you too.

Regular Contributor

I quit regular cigarettes a year ago. Now I smoke e-cigs (Greensmoke mocha flavor). Once i started them I never went back to regular. Now I know it's not perfect, but one thing at a time. I am 71 and have smoked since I was 15, so I think e-cigs are a giant step up! I plan to knock them off relatively soon because they are much easier to quit then the regular cigs. Yes, you are still getting nicotine but not all the other stuff that the cigarette companies but in there to hook smokers in the 1st place. Nicotine is the least of the evils in cigarettes! Good luck to you!

Super Contributor

snapdragons....good for you. I smoked at least a pack of cigs a day for 35 years. I have a friend who introduced me to e-cigs a year ago, I had never even heard of them. After much research and trial and error, I settled on halo tri ton e-cigs and I get my liquid from catepillar, the best out there. I think for me, the hardest part was not finding a liquid that honestly tasted like a cigarette. Took me a while and alot of samples to find that I really loved the espresso, coffee and mocha from catepiller. Haven't had a cigarette since and the money I have saved is amazing. For those who think e-cigs are dangerous, I have to say they have most likely saved me a few years of life, gave me back my sense of taste and smell, not to mention easy breathing. It isn't the nicotine in cigs that kills you, it is all the additives. I get the e-liquid with no nicotine now, but started with 1.2 and weaned myself down to no nicotine. I have to think for me, it wasn't necessarily the nicotine, but the physica act itself. I applaud you!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi snapdragons,

I quite cold turkey on a New Years Day. It worked.

I honestly believe it worked for me because everytime I had an urge to smoke, and that was really for the first 10 days, I silently repeated the following to myself 3 times:

"You are addicted to a chemical which is causing damage to your heart and you will die from it or the damage done to your lungs. Stop it now!"

Can't tell you how many times I repeated this to myself, but it worked and I thank God that it did.

God Bless.

Super Contributor

Thank you to all who are encouraging me, it really does help! Thank you for sharing your stories about quitting, I know it will not be an easy journey,but it is so important for me to quit and this time I will be successful. Also maybe those that are reading this, that are still smoking, might get the courage and strength to quit. ECigs are a real help! You can control the nicotine level, and no smoke, water vapor that looks like smoke.

My husband is doing so well also, I thought it would be harder for him, loves smoking and all his work friends smoke, when he goes on break he takes his ECig with him,he said at first no one noticed , but once they did 2 others are now using the Mistic ECig a like to quit!

I think it is great that you can purchase these anywhere like Walmart and the starter kit is only $14.95. Hopefully this helps people break the habit. I don't think it is something I will get addicted to, can control the nicotine all the way to step down to 0! Real Cigs are much worse!

I am almost done with week 1 and still no real Cigarettes and only on my second cartridge of my ECig !!!!!

Honored Contributor
On 12/5/2014 snapdragons said:

Hi Calmin- Thank you! I have friends that did the hypnosis thing, actually worked on them for a while, but within a year they were smoking again. WOW smoking that many cigarettes must of made you sick, did you have to leave them all in the ashtray? I had a friend that quit that way also and has never smoked again. Every time she felt the urge she would look and smell that dirty ashtray, never smoked again!

I have read so much about these ECigs, and made up my mind that this time I am quitting!

It really did make me sick, Snap. Oh my....so sick. I am not the type who can wean off of anything and I'd tried that a dozen times without luck. This program worked for me and a number of others. I actually trained with the university so I could lead sessions and did that for a year after quitting. It helped reinforce it.

My favorite thing about having quit (besides improved health)....My clothes, furniture, home, and I smell so much nicer.

Super Contributor

Yeah, made it through week 1, no real cigarettes! Bought the new Mistic refillable bridge cartridge starter set yesterday at Walgreens, new on the market. You put your own E liquid, flavor and nicotine strength, cartridges can get expensive! Wow like this system much better! My husband does too, he says he is completely off real cigs and is enjoying the E-Cigs, he was home all day yesterday and only used the E-Cig!

Bought the Mistic E-Cig refillable bridge starter kit at Walgreens for &10.99 with$2.00 off coupon came to 8.99 each. The liquid is $7.99 and I purchased the Cool Ice and my husband the tobacco. The kit was supposed to be $14.99 so quite a savings.

Having quit so many times before, tried everything from cold turkey to nicotine gum and patch, the E-Cigs may be a crutch to some, but it is better than leaving real cigarettes around to take the edge off. No smelly clothes, hair and butts in the dirty ashtray, and my husband and I don't want to kill( figure of speech) each other like the last times we quit. We will be able to moniter the step down in nicotine to 0, and not have real cigarettes as back ups!