Valued Contributor

Questions about Relion insulin from Walmart

I've used Humulin insulins for most of my diabetic life. Unfortunately the cost is too much this year with the insurance company I had to change to, so I need to change to Novolin. From what I understand, it's the same thing--just a different brand. What I'm confused about is the Relion brand of Novolin that is sold by Walmart. My insurance company covers Novolin (N and R), but not Relion. Not sure why. I don't know how Relion differs from Novolin (thought they were the same thing), just know it's cheaper than what my copay would be with Novolin. If any of you use Relion, I would really appreciate hearing how it performs. I would like to get it since it's cheaper, but I'm concerned that it might not be as effective as Novolin that's sold elsewhere and which doesn't have the Relion name connected to it. Thanks for any help with this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about Relion insulin from Walmart

@qualityshopper. You should get the most accurate answers to your questions from a pharmacist and your doctor.  Its effectiveness may well vary from person to person.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I agree with the previous comment.  If you're looking for medical advice from a public forum, you're looking for trouble.  Have a talk with your doctor, or the pharmacist.  It's not smart to look for medical advice here.  I wouldn't trust it.

Valued Contributor

@Lila4Now and @Kachina624--I have checked with my doctor. She thinks Relion would be fine. I would just like to hear the experiences of people who have actually used this. Obviously I know its efficacy would vary depending on the individual, but I would still like to hear opinions about it. As for talking to pharmacists, don't believe that's going to help much. Walmart pharmacists would naturally be pushing their Relion brand version of Novolin and, consequently, tell you it's just fine. Pharmacists from other places would likewise be pushing the Novolin brand version and would probably not recommend Relion. 

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper.  I think ethically a pharmacist would be obligated to give you the best information available, or maybe I'm being naive?  Good luck getting what you need to know.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@qualityshopperwrote:

I've used Humulin insulins for most of my diabetic life. Unfortunately the cost is too much this year with the insurance company I had to change to, so I need to change to Novolin. From what I understand, it's the same thing--just a different brand. What I'm confused about is the Relion brand of Novolin that is sold by Walmart. My insurance company covers Novolin (N and R), but not Relion. Not sure why. I don't know how Relion differs from Novolin (thought they were the same thing), just know it's cheaper than what my copay would be with Novolin. If any of you use Relion, I would really appreciate hearing how it performs. I would like to get it since it's cheaper, but I'm concerned that it might not be as effective as Novolin that's sold elsewhere and which doesn't have the Relion name connected to it. Thanks for any help with this.

I have a friend from a Support Group for Diabetes who tried Relion and she had an impossible time adjusting to it. You need to eat when it peaks and she ended up with erratic blood sugar swings and compared it to how diabetes was treated in the 50's.

Now this is anecdotal and everyone varies how a particular insulin affects them but if you do decide to try Relion, I would test constantly and remember to always bring a simple sugar with you if you leave the house. Also it is a whole lot more difficult to leave the house because the insulin pens are a real help and so much easier than carrying a syringe and vial of insulin.

I think Relion is really only if no other insulin is available through your insurance.

Of course always check with your endocrinologist before changing anything in your diabetes meds.

Good luck @qualityshopper. I have had Type 1 for nearly fifty years and I would find it very hard to go back to an insulin used years ago with a track record of a lot of hypoglycemia in patients using it.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11--Like you, I've had type 1 diabetes for almost 52 years. For all of that time, I've stayed on the older types of insulin (Relion, Humulin, etc.), so I'm quite used to dealing with the swings and peak times (in fact, I always carry a small thermos of orange juice with me everywhere I go). I know it would no doubt be better if I switched to the newer insulins, as well as a pump, but just can't afford to. I did try Lantus once, but I actually had more trouble keeping my diabetes under control with that than with using Humulin N and R. So, since I'm used to these "antique" insulins, I'll just stay on them.

Trusted Contributor

@qualityshopper   Hello quality shopper. I too have  been type dibetic for 50 years. Like you for the most part I was on the old humulin n and r. I was on lantus for  a short period of time and could not get regulated. I was switched to a pump about 4 years ago and happy to say my last a1c was 5.9.  When taking the old insulins, it was just so normal for me to know when to eat because the dose was gping to peak, carrying  a snack or juice with me for unexpected lows. It was just the normal thing for me to do. 

I hope you are doing well. I find it interesting to speak to some of you guys that have been  type 1 for many years. 

Hello,

I'm a Certified Diabetes Educator.  The reason that ReliOn-brand insulin (available only at Walmart) is not accepted by insurances is that ReliOn insulin can be purchased over-the-counter.  Since it available over-the-counter, insurance companies won't cover it.

For people in the Medicare donut-hole or for people who's insurance companies still make the cost of insulin unaffordable, ReliOn brand insulin is an option.  Each vial costs ~$25.  They are the older type of insulins, but better than none.

The insulins available via ReliOn brand are:  (I'm not sure if it's Humulin or Novolin)

NPH (Humulin/Novolin N) -- intermediate acting insulin

Regular (Humulin/Novolin R) -- short-acting insulin

Humulin/Novolin 70/30 -- mixed insulin

I hope this info is helpful.