Honored Contributor

Re: Question about adult fecal incontinence

I would buy another washing machine..maybe a portable one to use for the bedding and add the Lysol laundry additive to the wash.I feel the same as you do about contamination of the kitchen linens.I don’t think that it is very sanitary to wash both types of laundry in the same machine.I am sure that there is water from past loads left in the bottom of the drum.

Valued Contributor

When you wash the bedding ..Soak  wash with cold water,soap and bleach .  . This will take out the fecal matter.Then wash with soap, hot water and bleach or sanitizer. Then fill up washer with hot water and bleach and do a small cycle to sanitize the washer. .Fecal matter can be removed with cold water as it can set the stain if you use hot water first  .

Occasional Contributor

We had a similar issue with my Mother and we washed every load with 1 cup of white vinegar.  You don't have to worry about color fade on clothes and it's effective killing germs and bacteria. 6% vinegar is more effective than 5% vinegar.  Heinz has a 6% version that can be found at Walmart called Heinz Cleaning Vinegar (usually found in the cooking aisle).  We washed every load with it and it didn't have any issues.  Good luck!.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper 

I know exactly what you are going through.  First, get the disposable bed pads...the largest size is 30 × 36 inches.  Overlap if area is not enough for coverage.  Use them on top of your fitted sheet.  Second, buy disposable gloves for cleaning up.  Keep everything handy within reach as you start.  Believe me because you don't want to have to cross room or leave room once you start.  Adult wipes will also help considerably and can be found where the Depends type products are.  If not stock up on baby wipes instead.  

For washing soiled items, try cleaning off (use gloves here too) as much as possible with paper towels (always kept along bedside & in bathroom) and always keep plastic bags handy for disposing of items.  Sometimes it is easier to keep person in bed to keep soiling to that area (rip down the sides of the Depends...do not try to remove down the legs like underwear.) and rolling person to the side while cleaning them and placing soiled paper towels & wipes onto soiled bed pad as you go along. 

Always have clean bed pads unfolded & ready, along with extra gloves, towels & plastic bags opened & ready before you start any clean up.  After cleaning then you start to roll up the soiled bed pad into itself, try placing clean one underneath the soiled one so once you remove soiled one you can roll person back onto clean one.  At times you may need to place the clean one down even though person is not fully cleaned just to remove as much as possible on first try.  If so just do that & repeat by rolling them onto clean bed pad after extremely soiled one is removed and start process a second time to finish cleaning them and placing a 3rd bed pad down when fully cleaned and rolling them onto that.  You will want to wish you had 4 hands, I know but I found that thinking about process first helped and this process helped me contain soiling to that area.

For doing laundry, once any excess is removed, I put everything in laundry, used hot water with a disenfectant like some pine-sol or similar along with laundry detergent and just enough hot water to fully launder them.  Once done I removed laundry and then did an EMPTY LOAD with HOT WATER & BLEACH using A LOT more water to COMPLETELY IMMERSE the laundry tub (the reason why I used only enough water 1st time because I did not want all dirty water in entire height of tub) to disenfect even more.  Then I redid the laundry a 2nd time in the clean tub.  It is a lot of work I know, but this is how I handled cleaning the person & the laundry.

Hoping these ideas help you.  Feel free to ask me if you need more info.  Best wishes...😊

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@qualityshopper 

I know someone using "Bambino diapers.  Not carried in stores in my area so they are ordered online on their website.  They are the only ones she found that don't leak.  Depends always did.  I think she uses the style called Bianca, but they have a lot of different kinds and strengths.  Also, samples you can try.  They totally eliminate spilling out of urine and feces.  Be sure to get the right size.  

See Bambino dot com. 

Can I assume she is not permitted to take anti-diarrhea medication until the doctor knows what's causing it?

Others gave you good advice, so I won't repeat.  

I went to bambino dot com, because my father has the same problem at times.  It asked me to update my flash player before it would go any further.  I tried to click out of it, and my computer froze.  I had to force my computer to turn off and turn it back on again.  I wouldn't suggest going directly to their website.  Amazon sells this brand.

I went to their website too.  I had to laugh.  They cater to adults who have a diaper fetish. It took me aback, when I saw adult diapers with baby patterns on them.  Then I read the reviews..click...I got it.  LOL

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper wrote:

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. I have some incontinence pads on the bed under the bottom sheet to help protect the mattress, but what would really help is a pad that is big enough to go across the entire bed (full size bed) on top of the sheet and that could be tucked under the sides. I wouldn't need one that would cover the entire length of the bed, just one that's wide enough to go across and cover just the area where her hips are. All of the ones I've seen online just aren't that wide.

The other problem I have is finding a product like Depends that is made for really small adults. She only weighs about 80 pounds, so what I have just doesn't fit tight enough to avoid leaks.

I'm going to have to check into the products mentioned that can be used to clean the washer. I was unaware of those. Our machine is an older one and doesn't have a sanitize cycle. I'm hesitant to put Clorox in with the clothing or even the bedding, so what I've been doing instead is to wash the items twice. Of course, these have been the things that aren't as badly covered as the sheets. I haven't done them yet because they got the worst of it all. I keep putting it off because of my concern of making the washer too filthy to wash anything else in it and be truly clean. Like I said before, maybe I'm being ridiulous. I do run the washer afterwards with just water and some Clorox to help disinfect, but that's just when I've washed the somewhat nasty things. I'm really feeling very uncomfortable about the idea of putting the really bad stuff in and whether or not running a cycle with Clorox afterwards would be enough.

@qualityshopper 

Have you thought of purchasing inexpensive clear shower curtain liners to put on top of the bottom sheet and you could cut them to size?  You don't want her lying entirely on top of it because it would just be too hot, but if you could size them to run from about the middle of her back down to her knees might work for you!  And definitely put the large size bed pads, 30 × 36 inches, on top of that!  😊❤

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper , Perhaps youth sized products would work better.  

Northshorecare.com sells bowel incontinence  products for youth and teens.

I Googled “youth fecal incontinence products”.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper 

I wonder if a product like the Crib-A-Peel sold on amazon would help, if only for the mattress/sheet issues?

It's 52 by 28.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Try Bambinodiapers.com

Works fine. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I went to their website too.  I had to laugh.  They cater to adults who have a diaper fetish. It took me aback, when I saw adult diapers with baby patterns on them.  Then I read the reviews..click...I got it.  LOL

Please...these diapers really work.  I thought the same as you when I first saw the patterns, but they have plain white diapers, too.  Need to look around on their website.