Respected Contributor

Anyone here had this done?  It's planned for me and I'm wondering what to expect.  Not looking forward to it.

Honored Contributor

I just completed a series of 5 weekly shots of Supartz for arthritis in my knee.  My Ortho first numbs the knee before the injection.  For the most part, each shot was a non-event.  I believe it might have been the 2nd shot when I let out an involuntary "ouch" as I felt the gel go in.  But it was very brief.  And no "pain" in any subsequent shots.  No reactions at all after any of the shots.   I can't say that I've had much relief to speak of, but I'm now slated for 3 weeks of PT 3 times a week.    From the beginning, my Ortho doc told me the whole process was about 2 months.

My weekly appointments lasted 5-10 minutes at most.  

Nothing to fear, if Synvisc is the same thing, for the same reason.  HTH.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve had cortisone injections in the knee and, for me, it was a non event.  @Tyak 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure if you go to their website, there's wealth of information there.  I had sterioid injections many times in both my knees.  The did it in interventional radiology so they could get deep into the joint.  First time was a little scary but painless and I felt the affects almost immediately.  The whole injection procedure for both knees, took about 45 minutes.    I remember limping with pain into radiology and being pain free and walking out normally.  After that, it was a piece of cake.  I had my injections every 8-10 weeks but they became less effective over time....so.....I opted for knee replacement surgery on the worst knee.  

Honored Contributor

I have never had Synvisc, but I am thinking about it.

When I worked in CS for a health insurance company, I had many clients who would call to check their benefits for this injection.   They often would call me back and tell me how much relief they got from the injection and asked if they could get insurance coverage second and third injection.

I understand it is wonderful and works, but doesn't last forever.

i am looking forward to trying it for my left knee that yells and nags at me constantly.

Respected Contributor

I feel better after reading your responses, it was sort of freaking me out thinking about it.  I'll get 3 shots a week apart and also PT 2x weekly for 6 weeks.  An acquaintance had told me they were awfully painfull but this person needs valium to get a dental checkup, so I wanted other takes on it.  And I'm glad I did!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Tyak I had a similar situation when I was about to start my injections.  A woman who had them a few years ago said the shot was so painful that she could barely walk out of the office afterwards.  Imagine my surprise when I was in and out of the office in such short periods of time with no issues.  When I mentioned my good fortune to her, she did back-pedal a bit about her experiences.  I think some people are just a bit dramatic and want to put a bit of a scare in others!  Good luck to you!  Let us know how you did!

Esteemed Contributor

I had several series of these I sections over the years.  They did help for a time.  Unfortunately, both knees were in terrible conditions and I did have bilateral TKRs several years later.

DH still gets the injections and he has success with them.

IMO, the shots are certainly worth trying.  Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

I had those done a few years ago.....Long story short...I eventually had to have both of my knees replaced (at same time).

Best decision I've made in a long time.  

I guess they (the shots) bought me some time.

Honored Contributor

Do not hesitate to get these injections.    I believe the shots work, when they are done within a key time frame of the progression of osteoarthritis.   They did not work for me.   

I really did not expect them to, because I had already reached the bone on bone grating stage.  However, this was the only option I hadn’t tried, so my ortho surgeon wanted to go this route before talking knee replacement.   

My overall suffering would've been far less if the shots had been given at the time I needed them, and would have benefitted from them.