Occasional Contributor

Re: QUESTION ON CATARACT SURGERY

If your friend have near-sightedness or it affect her daily life ( for eg: in driving), then it's better to remove the cataract. My father who is 60 had done a cataract surgery this month. He was sensitive to light and had blurred vision. So he had consulted a free lasik consultation in Evergreen eye center, an eye clinic in Auburn for laser eye surgery cataract removal. His doctor suggested him to correct his astigmatism before the surgery.  In most of the cases, surgery is not essential, but if your friend have a cataract in her both eyes, then go for surgery. All the best.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Garnet !!

Esteemed Contributor

@ginirn wrote:

I am a nurse and this malarkey about waiting until you can hardly see is no longer relevant.  Any Dr. who makes his patient wait until their quality of life is severely compromised should retire.  There is no reason the wait unless other medical conditions exist that cause risk to the patient.  If your Dr. is dragging you along I have to wonder if he/she is up to date with their medical facts or making money on your visits.  Get a different Dr.!!

I am a nurse as well.  It is old school to wait until cataracts are so called "ripe".  There is no urgency to have them done unless your vision is affected but no reason to wait, revisit the ophthalmologist frequently, take unnecessary medication or special expensive lenses.  I had mine done right after diagnosis, both eyes but separate procedures.  I didn't think I had problems until I saw colors so vividly right after and why wait until you are older with possible increased risk factors. 

Honored Contributor

I had cataract surgery in both eyes.  Not at the same time but you will know when you need it done.  Take your hand and place over your good eye -  if everything is blurry, it is time plus when you are out in the sun,  the sun will bother your eye.It's an easy surgery done as outpatient and you wear a patch overnight and the next day it is taken off and you will see color (stop lights) like you never have before but of course if only lasts for a day or two and then it's back to normal.  You have to use eye drops for about 2 weeks, I believe if I remember correctly. You definitely want to see an eye dr. that can operate on eyes.  Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I'm just pleased that I'll be able to have the other eye done within 2-3 weeks of the first one. My Rx would be SO different it would make me crazy.

I am getting a toric lens in the first eye; the other eye will be cheap ;-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I had cataract surgery in both eyes.  Not at the same time but you will know when you need it done.  Take your hand and place over your good eye -  if everything is blurry, it is time plus when you are out in the sun,  the sun will bother your eye.It's an easy surgery done as outpatient and you wear a patch overnight and the next day it is taken off and you will see color (stop lights) like you never have before but of course if only lasts for a day or two and then it's back to normal.  You have to use eye drops for about 2 weeks, I believe if I remember correctly. You definitely want to see an eye dr. that can operate on eyes.  Cat HappyCat Happy

Thanks for the info !!!

Honored Contributor

Had my surgery this morning. Quick and painless. I had a toric lens implanted. When my other eye is done, it should be the monofocal/freebie lens. Hopefully within the month.

I'm not having instant perfect vision because they dilate your eye so much it doesn't go back to normal for about 30 hours. Will see the doctor tomorrow, and again in a week, and if all is well get the other eye scheduled. Can't wait!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all