Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ON CATARACT SURGERY

I think an opthamologist should be seen, not an optometrist, socialgirl.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My DH is having cataracts removed this fall when we get home from vacation. His have been getting worse for a couple years and he now can hardly drive except on bright sunny days. His doctor said when they would be done was up to him and he would know when it was time. It was time last winter but , alas , he had a small stroke and the neuro doctor wanted him to wait because he was on major anticoagulant meds. Now he is just on plavix so he got the go ahead for this fall.

Hello, 151949, just a quick comment on the size of your text/font.  These small letters are difficult to read and I am wondering if  you can make them larger, please.   Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:
I think an opthamologist should be seen, not an optometrist, socialgirl.

ITA !!

Honored Contributor

Mine were done early. I could see to get around and I was fine to drive, but couldn't read music.
After having cataracts removed from both eyes, I had to have a third surgery for strabismus (crossed eye). I went from heavy, thick trifocals that were only partially successful, to readers for music and computer.
I wake up every day thanking God for this gift. I hope everyone of you is Blessed as I have been.
Honored Contributor

I had strabismus surgery at age 20, which corrected me cosmetically just fine, until I started not using the cataract eye. Now I'm back to turning in.

BUT - When I mentioned this to the tech who was measuring me for surgery, and that I'd been doing this for about 3 years, he said that it had indeed happened because with the cataract and not using the eye, that eye no longer had a focal point for reference, and that not having a focal point is part of the reason for eyes turning in (or out, I suppose).

He said that once I have surgery and start using the eye again, it's likely that the strabismus will start to correct. It may not be perfect, but better than now. I was encouraged about that :-)
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Hi moonchilde- Have you had a recent exam by a pediatric eye surgeon? IME, you're NEVER too old for a strabismus correction OR re-do.
Occasional Contributor

If your friend have near-sightedness or it affect her daily life ( for eg: in driving), then it's better to remove the cataract. My father who is 60 had done a cataract surgery this month. He was sensitive to light and had blurred vision. So he had consulted a free lasik consultation in Evergreen eye center, an eye clinic in Auburn for laser eye surgery cataract removal. His doctor suggested him to correct his astigmatism before the surgery.  In most of the cases, surgery is not essential, but if your friend have a cataract in her both eyes, then go for surgery. All the best.

Occasional Contributor

If your friend have near-sightedness or it affect her daily life ( for eg: in driving), then it's better to remove the cataract. My father who is 60 had done a cataract surgery this month. He was sensitive to light and had blurred vision. So he had consulted a free lasik consultation in Evergreen eye center, an eye clinic in Auburn for laser eye surgery cataract removal. His doctor suggested him to correct his astigmatism before the surgery.  In most of the cases, surgery is not essential, but if your friend have a cataract in her both eyes, then go for surgery. All the best.

Occasional Contributor

If your friend have near-sightedness or it affect her daily life ( for eg: in driving), then it's better to remove the cataract. My father who is 60 had done a cataract surgery this month. He was sensitive to light and had blurred vision. So he had consulted a free lasik consultation in Evergreen eye center, an eye clinic in Auburn for laser eye surgery cataract removal. His doctor suggested him to correct his astigmatism before the surgery.  In most of the cases, surgery is not essential, but if your friend have a cataract in her both eyes, then go for surgery. All the best.

Occasional Contributor