Super Contributor

My husband has to have a prostate biopsy. Can anyone tell me what is involved with this procedure?

Contributor

My husband has had several of these and eventually was diagnosed with prostate cancer. That being said, the biopsy he said, was the worst. You might have your husband take some Tylenol before he goes, just to take the edge off.

After my husband's diagnosis, we met with the surgeon who gave him the choice of surgery, bracy therapy (radiation seeds), or watch and wait. I was flying back and forth from Ontario to Spokane each week and sat by a lady who worked for Loma Linda University. (I graduated from there). I mentioned his cancer and she said "you know about Proton, don't you?".... I didn't, so she explained and it seemed like something we should check in to. Needless to say, it was THE BEST decision ever. He is 13 years out from treatment and no cancer has returned. They do not take out the prostate, and you have a treatment every day. His body part still works and there were no side effects.

I have two cousins (brothers) who both had prostate cancer, one chose surgery and the other proton. The surgery cousins part doesn't work anymore and he has leakage, and the other cousin with the proton is happy as a clam. There are several places in the US that do Proton and it is REALLY worth while to check it out. Proton also treats many many other kind of cancer, not just prostate. Get the book by Patrick Walsh on Prostate cancer and get educated on Gleason scores and PSA, it is well worth it. Good luck and God Bless.

Super Contributor

Benefits in prostate cancer uncertain

Proton therapy has been proven beneficial for tumors surrounded by sensitive structures such as the eye, brain, and spinal cord, where the potential for radiation damage is very high. Proton therapy also offers a distinct benefit in many childhood cancers due to the high risk of long-term side effects in children who receive standard radiation treatment.

In contrast, most studies of proton therapy for prostate cancer suggest that this new approach may be just as good as standard photon radiation treatment at controlling the growth and spread of the cancer, but there is no evidence that proton treatment does a better job of curing the cancer.

And in spite of the theory that protons cause less damage to normal tissue, there is at present no convincing evidence that urinary (bladder problems), gastrointestinal (rectal leakage or bleeding), or sexual (erectile dysfunction), complication rates are lower following proton therapy. A few studies suggest that rates of some side effects might even be higher.