Valued Contributor

Progressive Lenses in Glasses

Hello Everyone!

I went to the eye dr today and need newer glasses.   I can't read with my old ones so they want me get progressive lenses.   Apparently, these lenses have distance on top, computer/screen lenses in middle and reading on  bottom.

I'm so worried about how they will feel and if I'll get used to them.   I do know I need them, but am anxious about it.

Has anyone had experience with these glasses?   Also, I will be getting a 30% discount on the glasses if I choose to buy from my optometrist.   I don't have a Costco membership here.    I do want good glasses, not cheap ones.   I don't want to pay for designer (fancy ones) either.

Don't know what to to do really.   I'm kind of new at all of this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Progressive Lenses in Glasses

No need to be anxious! You'll adapt to them in no time! They're great - as they allow you to see well. Everybody I know over 48 wears them when they need glasses.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Frosted Cake.  I am new to progressive lenses, too. I got mine about a year ago. They will tell you how to use them. I have been using readers for many years but did not need the distance. I have not really gotten used to them. It takes a lot of work. I cannot walk in mine. I am hoping to get some sunglasses with just distance part for driving. Good luck with yours, you might love them.

Valued Contributor

I appreciate the reviews, but am skeptical.    

I worry when you say you can't walk in them.   I walk for exercise and can't imagine being uncomfortable.

I wore contact lenses and I'm not happy about having to adjust to glasses full time.

Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I went to the eye dr today and need newer glasses.   I can't read with my old ones so they want me get progressive lenses.   Apparently, these lenses have distance on top, computer/screen lenses in middle and reading on  bottom.

I'm so worried about how they will feel and if I'll get used to them.   I do know I need them, but am anxious about it.

Has anyone had experience with these glasses?   Also, I will be getting a 30% discount on the glasses if I choose to buy from my optometrist.   I don't have a Costco membership here.    I do want good glasses, not cheap ones.   I don't want to pay for designer (fancy ones) either.

Don't know what to to do really.   I'm kind of new at all of this.

I have the whole deal .... tri-focals with the transitions  lenses (go from regular to sunglasses) ... and I have the non-reflective lenses.   It took me all of about two days to fully acclimate,  

Trust me ... it's not a big deal.   You'll love them.

Valued Contributor

I could choose just the dual progressive lenses where it's just upper and lower, not computer in the middle.  

I know my lenses will be thicker and heavier with the dual (that's what they told me) but it may be an easier transition.

This office gives you a 60 day warranty, and you can change them out at no additional cost; however, you don't get refunded for purchasing the trifocals first.

Not sure how to proceed.    I'm not dealing very well with growing older!

Super Contributor

Try your best to get used to them because, once you do, you will love them. 

That at being said, when I first got them, many years ago. I did not d

adjust right away, so I took them back.  They told me to please give it more time.  I felt dizzy with them on, but I agreed to try again. And, thankfully I finally did adjust.

good luck with your new glasses.

Respected Contributor

I've been wearing progressive lenses for about 15 years.  I had to quit contact lenses because I needed trifocals.  Like you, I was worried about adjusting.  I tried lined trifocals previously and I couldn't even get up from the desk becaue they made me so dizzy.  But I put on my new progressive lenses while in the store and my eyes adjusted almost immediately.  I was warned to give them a couple of days to adjust, but 10 minutes is all I needed.  I think it all depends on how your eyes and you brain work together; everybody is different.  Most people do well with progressives.  I hardly ever see anyone with lined lenses.

In fact, I took my new prescription for lenses to the shop yesterday.  Talk about sticker shock!  I get ultra light progressives with the Crizal and polished edges and it's $438 just for the lenses.  Won't buy new frames this year.

Honored Contributor

The mid-range on progressives is not just for computer use. It's for anything at mid-range.   Before I got mine,  I couldn't see things in display cases in stores which was very annoying.   On the scale of difficulty adjusting to things in life,  these lenses are very low. 

You can buy your frames anywhere and have the lens made at another place.   A poster here submitted a photo of some frames I loved.   I found them on sale at a shop in Canada, ordered and had the lens made at Walmart.   They are all very lightweight. 

Don't get the dual progressive; you'll regret it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

NM