Contributor

HI,

Has anybody received the Prevnar 13 shot?  My doctor said he wanted  me to have it being that I will be 66 next month.  I was just wondering about the side affects one has gotten from it.  I know there is a time period you have to wait before getting the flu shot before or after that shot.

Thanks,

Linda S.

Honored Contributor

Last Oct I got the Prevnar 13 in one arm and the Flu shot in the other.  Just a little stiffness in the muscles, no problem, no reaction, felt fine..... just make sure you totally relax your arm muscle as the shot is being administered.  I go back this Oct for the second and last shot (it's a series of two shots separated by one year).   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I had it.  No problems at all.

Valued Contributor

I had the Prevnar 13 in one arm and the flu shot in the other last year and this year I had the flu shot in one arm and the pneumonia shot in the other without any troubles.  I had mild soreness, which is typical with me for any shot.  It's good thing to do for yourself.

Honored Contributor

I had no problems with either injection. Glad I have now had both, so am done.

Honored Contributor

I had both shots several year ago, and recently had to repeat them since extensive blood work showed that I did not develop an immunity

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I had both shots several year ago, and recently had to repeat them since extensive blood work showed that I did not develop an immunity

I never heard of that, I wonder what they base testing for immunity on. Makes me wonder how many people do not develop immunity and have no idea.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN

As I understand it they test your blood it see if it carry titers to fight the infection. I had a second Pneunovax about 3 months ago and I have 1 of of 13 titers necessary for immunity, I have chronic low IVIG levels. This is my un medical understanding of the situation

@RetRN wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I never heard of that, I wonder what they base testing for immunity on. Makes me wonder how many people do not develop immunity and have no idea.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pasta Lover wrote:

HI,

Has anybody received the Prevnar 13 shot?  My doctor said he wanted  me to have it being that I will be 66 next month.  I was just wondering about the side affects one has gotten from it.  I know there is a time period you have to wait before getting the flu shot before or after that shot.

Thanks,

Linda S.

@Pasta Lover .. my DH got received the Prevnar 13 shot several months ago.  He had no side affects or problems.  

Respected Contributor

Here is the package insert for Prevnar 13:

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM201669.pdf

On the first page it indicates:

--------------------------- --ADVERSE REACTIONS------------------------------

Ininfantsandtoddlersvaccinatedat2,4,6,and12-15monthsofagein US clinical trials, the most commonly reported solicited adverse reactions (>5%) were irritability (>70%), injection site tenderness (>50%), decreased appetite (>40%), decreased sleep (>40%), increased sleep (>40%), fever (>20%), injection site redness (>20%), and injection site swelling (>20%). (6.1)

• In children aged 5 through 17 years, the most commonly reported solicited adverse reactions (>5%) were injection site tenderness (>80%), injection site redness (>30%), injection site swelling (>30%), irritability (>20%), decreased appetite (>20%), increased sleep (>20%), fever (>5%), and decreased sleep (>5%). (6.1)

• In adults aged 18 years and older, the most commonly reported solicited adverse reactions (>5%) were pain at the injection site (>50%), fatigue (>30%), headache (>20%), muscle pain (>20%), joint pain (>10%), decreased appetite (>10%), injection site redness (>10%), injection site swelling (>10%), limitation of arm movement (>10%), vomiting (>5%), fever (>5%), chills (>5%), and rash (>5%). (6.2)

Page 16 goes into the details of the adverse reactions to this vaccine during the Prevnar 13 clinical trials prior to licensure.