Honored Contributor

Poisoned: the dirty truth about your food on Netflix

[ Edited ]

Poisoned: the dirty truth about your food on Netflix. This is a documentary about the pathogens in American foods. It covers the outbreaks from Romaine lettuce, the Jack in the Box hamburgers outbreak from E. coli O157, and salmonellas from chicken just to name a few. It discussed ways that Europe has cut the occurance of salmonella in chicken down. It also shows how our foods become contaminated. It's currently trending on Netflix.

Even though I'm aware of what the film covered, I still found it interesting and up-to-date. I did think that it could have covered more, including contamination of flour and more on Listeria monocytogenes. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Poisoned: the dirty truth about your food on Netflix

@Mindy D  I'd be interested, but especially in a method to control the outbreaks along with what percentage Europe has under control already.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@Mindy D  I'd be interested, but especially in a method to control the outbreaks along with what percentage Europe has under control already.

@millieshops @They tell you how and what percentage of change was observed over five years for chicken treated in Europe. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D Thanks   Will be looking to Netflix for this one. Chicken is a mainstay in my kitchen!

Respected Contributor

We just don't have virgin food unless you grown your own.

I try to not think about what goes on in a restaurant kitchen, meat processing plant or any prepared food. 

There was a discussion about the TSV KC Prime Rib that it was injected with salt and sugar and other stuff. Most processed meat will have all sorts of additives. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D - While it is certainly true that food contamination can and does occur, and it can be deadly, my more pressing, overall concern is about all the chemicals used in or on our food to either preserve the freshness of the food longer, or to enhance the color of the food unnaturally, or to grow the food so it is resistant to pests and/or weeds, Then, there is the artificial meat that is about to be pushed upon all of us and the crickets they expect us to eat as an alternative protein source, or ground up as flour, and incorporated into the processed foods sold to us. Everything is apparently rubber stamped recklessly and declared GRAS (generally recognized as safe), by the agencies tasked with assuring the safety of our food. GMO salmon in our future, and lab-grown beef and chicken. Is "Soylent Green" far off, or will that become our new norm down the line? What, exactly, is off the table, or verbotten, so to speak?

Pathogens in our food are far from the only problem or challenge we face in our hope to eat pure, unadulterated food as it grows and is raised responsibly in nature.