Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean wrote:

Does anyone know anything about platelets? We found out that my husband's platelets are very low, and he had a bone marrow biopsy to check that out.  He'll find out the first part of Jan. about the results of that biopsy.  Seems like his shortness of breath was caused by fluid in his body so was put on water pills, and that has helped his breathing.

@gloriajean 

The Red Cross was always calling my wife for her blood type, and Platelets. I know she belonged to the "Gallon Club" in the Red Cross, not sure of how many.

Is your husband also suffering from some type of a Cardiovascular issue? I know from my own experience with CHF, that if your heart isn't pumping strong enough, fluid can build up in your body.

Hope things go well for him. You take good care also.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Contributor

My granddaughter has low platelets. She has been diagnosed with ITP.  She is on a medication called Promacta. It took a year to get approved by her insurance dute to the cost. She has had several IVIG "s , they take about 6 hours and it raises her platelt count and she feel  better after. God's blessings over you.

Respected Contributor

I also have ITP but thankfully require no infusion.  My levels were down to 27 not a typo, yes that low when they should be at least 250,000.  Mine came about after intense bruising and high headed along with red blotches on the lower part of my legs.  Long story short spent days in the hospital while getting my levels back up and finally given the all clear from all the speculation of what disease I had.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday his hematology appt. went well. His dr. confirmed his bone marrow is working as it should. He feels it is immune related. Once his body can get rid of whatever virus he has in him his numbers will improve. Due to his age (83) he'll always be low. But hopefully closer to 100. His platelets wre 59, 2 weeks ago they were 24. His doc was not concerned. No more tests or medications and just follow up with labs in 3 months.

Honored Contributor

@gloriajean 

Sounds like encouraging news for your husband!   Best wishes for his continued improvement.