Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz   I know we've talked before about the Birkenstocks.  I have been wearing them almost exclusively for probably 15 years.  I actually found a knock-off brand that works better for me and costs much less.  They are called Calceo, and I've only bought them through Zulily for about $30, so I don't know where else they are available.  The footbed is exactly the same except they are a bit softer and more flexible right out of the box.  I also have a baby bunion on my left foot that hurts when I wear the harder Birks, but does well in my Calceos!  I have one pair that I wear in the house as slippers.....no way can I go barefoot, even at home, without getting heel pain!

Laura loves cats!
Contributor

Re: all the different ways you Re: Plantar Fasciitis

The right shoes will only help long term if you have orthoics. My husbannd has both types of orthotics; likes them both. I have custom orthotics.   Been wearing orthotics for 27 years. you should buy a new pair of walking shoes after you get orthotics. This is so you can purchse a pair that fits right and feels good.  The pain from the plantar fasciitus willl go away then. Mine disappeared after 8 days.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@Nightowlz 

Have you had an MRI?

A few years ago I had all the classic symptoms of PF.  I was in PT for 9 weeks where I had laser treatments.  I never improved and the pain became excruciating.   Finally I had an MRI and discovered I had a torn tendon.  New diagnosis so back to PT and I wore a walking boot on and off for months.  Still no improvement. (and horrendous pain)

Finally I had a stem cell infusion in my foot.  Almost immediately there was no pain.  I had custom orthotics made.  Wore them for awhile but hated them.

I have not had any symptoms since.

@lulu1 

Never had an MRI. I told my doctor about it in May but she did not have much to say about it. She said I could see a podiatrist.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Nightowlz  A heel cup won't help. You need orthotics.. They will provide arch support.  I have suffered with this in my right foot off and on for years. This past bout took one year to clear up. I had to give up walking for exercise.  It won't heal if you keep waking for miles at a time.   Also icing and using the wood roller bar helps. Cortisone shots did not help.  Never never never go barefoot. I found the best shoes for me are Clark's Cloud Steppers.  Good luck. I know how painful this is and if you have had it for as long as you have it can be debilitating. Sounds like you have found some releif and are on the way to healing. The podiatrist told me that this is actually an injury to the plantar fascia and it will heal in time. 

@50Mickey 

That's my problem. I don't want to give up walking. I know it will persist if I keep walking. I would still like to walk at least 20 miles per week. I feel so much better when I do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz  I’ve had plantar fasciitis alsio and tried  many   orthotics but the ones I wear are Orthaheel sold on QVC. I have them in my Aesics  shoes Dr recommend due to gel. 

I use regular but have used the sport also. 

The soft bed Birkenstock’s help. 

Orthaheel slippers are great! Good luck,

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Nightowlz   I know we've talked before about the Birkenstocks.  I have been wearing them almost exclusively for probably 15 years.  I actually found a knock-off brand that works better for me and costs much less.  They are called Calceo, and I've only bought them through Zulily for about $30, so I don't know where else they are available.  The footbed is exactly the same except they are a bit softer and more flexible right out of the box.  I also have a baby bunion on my left foot that hurts when I wear the harder Birks, but does well in my Calceos!  I have one pair that I wear in the house as slippers.....no way can I go barefoot, even at home, without getting heel pain!

@2blonde 

Thanks. I will have to buy a pair to check them out. I was planning on trying a pair of the Birks with the soft footbed. 

I never go barefoot anymore. I miss it. When we lived in Hawaii when I was a kid I went to school barefoot. 

Esteemed Contributor

@DrKelli :  Powerwalk inner soles are what my podiatrist also recommended.  That and periodic reflexology (foot massage) are what solved my problem.

Honored Contributor

@romanO wrote:

The right shoes will only help long term if you have orthoics. My husbannd has both types of orthotics; likes them both. I have custom orthotics.   Been wearing orthotics for 27 years. you should buy a new pair of walking shoes after you get orthotics. This is so you can purchse a pair that fits right and feels good.  The pain from the plantar fasciitus willl go away then. Mine disappeared after 8 days.

@romanO 

Thank you. Guess I need to do some research on orthotics. I'm sure not going to be miserable the rest of my life. I will have to make some calls to see if they have anyone in town that does this or if I have to make a trip.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe if you have access to a pool(YMCA) etc you could do water walking, it would be easier on your feet!

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@2blonde 

Thanks. I will have to buy a pair to check them out. I was planning on trying a pair of the Birks with the soft footbed. 

I never go barefoot anymore. I miss it. When we lived in Hawaii when I was a kid I went to school barefoot. 

@Nightowlz   That's funny that you could go to school barefoot in Hawaii.  This gets me to thinking, though.  I ran around either barefoot or in those awful flat foam thongs that we all wore as kids.  I wonder if this was the start of our flat foot issues!

Laura loves cats!