Honored Contributor

My cousin’s broken hip. He’s staying in Va. to recover but drs are in Texas. Help please.

[ Edited ]

I our cousin is a type of paraplegic with an incomplete spinal cord injury. This type of injury allows him to walk with leg braces but he has no feeling in feet and lower legs. This injury happened in an accident 25 years ago. Recently, he fell and fractured his hip and hurt his shoulder. He had surgery for the fractured hip. This happened only three weeks after he had surgery to remove his gall bladder during an attacking of pancreatitis. After the hip surgery, he was in rehab for two weeks and then was sent home. He lives alone and could not do anything. He had one week of at home physical therapy. Thank goodness his youngest daughter and her husband stepped up to the plate and drive from Va to Texas to help him.  They decided to take him back to Va. with them. His house had been listed for sale before this and was also n run down condition due to his physical limitations. His nephew drilove him to Va. while his daughter stayed st the house in Texas throwing out as much junk as possible and getting the house ready to close up. She packed any valuable she could. He doesn’t have many. After four days in va he was hospitalized with a blood clot in his lungs. He’s now bsck at his dsughter’s on A blood thinner.

He he is taking up to 900 steps dsily with assistance.

Now he’s in Va. he needs to know how he gets a doctor there and what he is supposed to do. He had a walker but he doesn’t know if he can use crutches, if he needs therapy, if he needs medicines. He had no follow visit after the hip surgery while in Texas. He needs to know if he needs to have a follow up in Va. He is on straight Medicare in Texas. No Medicaid, no supplement, no Advantage plan. For some reason, he never gets any bills for his medical care in Texas. I guess the providers just. I’ll Medicare and that’s what the providers take as payment. If you know of anyone that recouperated in a state other than their home state I’d appreciate input. Same for how the visits should be post hip surgery.Did u need follow up visits and follow up X-rays to eee if the bone is healing.

pleaee excuse typos. I’m posting on mobile.

Honored Contributor

Re: My cousin’s broken hip. He’s staying in Va. to recover but drs are in Texas. Help please.

@Mindy D  I suggest you give Chrystaltree a shout out. She works in the medical field and seems to know a lot about procedure issues. Good luck

Respected Contributor

Re: My cousin’s broken hip. He’s staying in Va. to recover but drs are in Texas. Help please.

Thank goodness he has family to help him out.  The way they send people home with little to now support is shamful.

Have him call his doctor in TX.  They must have a socialworker to help with this type of thing.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Thank goodness he has family to help him out.  The way they send people home with little to now support is shamful.

Have him call his doctor in TX.  They must have a socialworker to help with this type of thing.  

I specifically set out my Right Total Knee Replacement surgery 4 MONTHS so I could do the case management post-op planning with all the providers myself.

I'm finding that coordinating with providers is no easy task. 

Honored Contributor

If he gets no where with the doctor that did the surgery, I would think he could call Medicare and get the needed answers/assistance......he needs a medical advocate....and asap.

Trusted Contributor

Is his plan to permanently reside in VA?  It’s certainly easy enough to have his medical records sent from Texas to VA.  Of course he should have a physician in VA. If he permanently resides in VA, he should be eligible for Medicaid.  Wonder why he didn’t have SSI and Medicaid in TX.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Normally a person is sent to a nursing home/rehab center when they're unable to care for themselves post surgery.  I wonder if there was a social worker involved?  Sounds as though Medicare in Texass is rather sloppy.  I think the OP didn't  get complete info on this story.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Get the Texas doctor to refer your cousin to a doctor in that area of Virginia, and send his records there.   

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

Is his plan to permanently reside in VA?  It’s certainly easy enough to have his medical records sent from Texas to VA.  Of course he should have a physician in VA. If he permanently resides in VA, he should be eligible for Medicaid.  Wonder why he didn’t have SSI and Medicaid in TX.

He gets SSDI but he had too much money from an inheritance he had twenty years ago to qualify for Medicaid in Texas. He’s not sure where he’ll permanently reside. I think it will depend on how his leg heals. When he turns 66his ssdi paynents will convert to sis payments. He only gets a small ant of ssdi since he was young when he first began getting payments. Please excuse typos I’m on a small mobile phonr

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Normally a person is sent to a nursing home/rehab center when they're unable to care for themselves post surgery.  I wonder if there was a social worker involved?  Sounds as though Medicare in Texass is rather sloppy.  I think the OP didn't  get complete info on this story.

He already went to rehab and his daughter come to his house to help so he didn’t need a nursing home. He just needs to know how to get a dr to follow up for his leg while he stays in Va with his daughter and son in law.