Respected Contributor

After a diagnosis of a meniscus tear I was all set for visit with surgeon to discuss orthoscopic procedure to repair.  Little did I know that I would be given choice of that or partial knee replacement.  Given age of 66 was told repair really not done.  Anyone have a a partial knee replacement?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Partial Knee Replacement

@Twins Mom   I've had a TKR but never heard of a partial.  What's the difference? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

From what I have read partial replaces 1 section of knee.  Total has three sections.   Partial expected to last average of 10 years.  Total lasts longer.

Trusted Contributor

Never heard of it.  I tore my meniscus very badly and had same day surgery.  Then 6 mos. later I needed a knee replacement.  I've had several arthroscopic surgeries to scope out scar tissues with PT.  Recent one was day before Thanksgiving last year.  Knee still hurts.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom 

Repair to those declining soft tissue areas often doesn't last well the older we get, esp. depending on their position and the condition of the bones that comprise the knee joint. Given the type and severity of your tear, it might make more sense to go straight to partial knee replacement so you're undergoing only one operation. You must have arthritis on one side of your knee, but not so severe that you need a total knee replacement.

In any case, it makes sense to get a second and/or third opinion on this. One question I'd have:  why a partial and not a total?  Am I going to getting a total in less than 10 years? (If so, maybe it makes more sense to go straight to that now). It's all up to you.

A few years ago, I had the typical bucket flap meniscus tear, which appeared to be causing me substantial knee pain. The pain was nothing like my other knee, which required total knee replacement. When my surgeon got in there and attempted to repair it, he found the tear was too severe and almost "shredded" in appearance...and he also discovered that when he scoped around, the flap was concealing severe arthritis that imaging did not pick up. I needed a total knee replacement in the end.

After the initial meniscus surgery and the portion that was damaged was removed, I had progressed to immediate bone-on-bone arthritis, far sharper pain. The "cushion" was gone. He told me up front this could happen and that I'd be potentially headed to knee replacement.

As he said to me:  no two knee wear-and-tear experiences are alike.

I've had many friends who have had partial knee replacements and they bounced back quicker, obviously, than a total. Google images and illustrations of one so you can see what exactly is replaced.  A friend your age returned to distance bicycling. Others wishes they would have just had the total and got it behind them. A lot depends on the strength of your bone, your general state of fitness, the location of your arthritis and the meniscus problems, etc.

Best of luck to you!

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 

Thank you for such detailed information.  From what I gather the tear causes trauma and the arthritis.  The arthritis amount determines the need for replacement.   Before I got MRI general practitioner had me try PT.  I can't help but wonder if that aggravated.  Getting my list of  questions ready for surgeon.

Honored Contributor

My surgeon said he quit doing them as most do not last as long as a total knee replacement and the surgery and recovery are just the same. 

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

After a diagnosis of a meniscus tear I was all set for visit with surgeon to discuss orthoscopic procedure to repair.  Little did I know that I would be given choice of that or partial knee replacement.  Given age of 66 was told repair really not done.  Anyone have a a partial knee replacement?  

@Twins Mom 

I have my own born with knees. My sister, 6 years my elder, had a partial knee replacement about 6 months ago.

Can't remember what part of her own knee was not damaged, but I am thinking it was the Patella. Being able to use this, or whatever tissue of her knee it was, it is thus called "partial" knee replacement.

She recovered much quicker than a TKR, especially considering her advanced age. Can't remember the medical terminology.

Considering both her son and son-in-law are medical doctors, I am sure they got her connected to the Orthopaedic Surgeon that did her surgery.

I can only say that my older sister had a "partial knee replacement".

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

If there were a choice, I would never get a "partial." Ultimately, the entire knee needs attention.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

If there were a choice, I would never get a "partial." Ultimately, the entire knee needs attention.

@insomniac2 

According to the Orthopaedic Surgeon that did my sister's "PKR". A lot depends on the condition of the knee/it's connective tissues/age and also the condition of the muscles that support the knee joint itself.

Recovery of the ones he has done have taken much less than half the time, compared to his patients that had TKR, at similar ages. I know my sister, at 87, was back in the barn taking car of her 3 horses in less than 3 months.

There are not many Ortho Surgeons around here that offer that option. Had it not been for both her son and son-in-law being Medical Doctors, she would not have known this option might be available.

Both her son and son-in-law approved of her choice. They saw all the pictures of her knee, and also know her years of physically hard work, helped save some of her surrounding tissues to make her a candidate for this type of surgery.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)