Honored Contributor

3 cases of COVID in fully vaccinated in Hawaii. I have questions.

[ Edited ]

The Hawaii Department of Health has reported that there are, or were, three cases of persons that were fully vaccinated against COVID that have COVID and one case of a person that had the first dose that has or had the BRITISH  variant. The Department said there were no hospitalizations among these infected individuals. The Department did not reveal anything else about the infected persons. 

From this news, we can't tell if the persons were SYMPTOMATIC, elderly or obese. From the clinical trials, we already know that the vaccines are 95% effective against symptomatic COVID, hospitalization and death. I wish Hawaii would let the public know more. Were any of the group asymptomatic but got tested due to exposure? Were they symptomatic, with mild symptoms? How long post their second shot did they find out they were infected?

This number is not outside what we would expect with nearly 165,000 people in Hawai‘i who are fully vaccinated,” the DOH wrote in an email on Friday, March 12.  

“Remember, 95% of people get immunity from the vaccines and 5% don’t from the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine,” explained Lt. Gov. Dr. Josh Green. “So one out of 20 people could still not have immunity and therefore catch

"KHON2 asked a doctor at Queen’s Health Systems if there were studies to indicate who might be more likely to catch COVID if vaccinated. There is not, unfortunately. "

Quotes from

KHON2 News online. 

by: Nikki Schenfeld

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 / 06:22 PM HST Updated: Mar 12, 2021 / 06:23 PM HST

Updated information:

The state has identified at least three breakthrough cases in residents. All three cases had either mild or no symptoms and did not transmit the virus to other persons. The DOH said this is proof the vaccines were doing their jobs. A DOH person said that "the vaccines are preventing serious illness as they are designed to do." He also said that "A vaccine with 95% efficacy will protect 95 out of 100 people. This means that 5% may still contract COVID if exposed. The DOH person's statement reflects a misconception about the COVID efficacy rate. This rate means that in clinical trials the likelihood of contracting COVID declined by 95% in the fully vaccinated study participants.

The vaccines are preventing serious illness as they are designed to do,” a Department of Health spokesperson said, in a statement. "An article in the journal Lancet estimates that means roughly .05% of those vaccinated would be expected to contract COVID after being fully vaccinated, not 5%."

Quotes and info above  from Hawaii News Now, March 12, 2021 at 7:57 AM HST - Updated March 13 at 12:03 AM

Trusted Contributor

Re: 3 cases of COVID in fully vaccinated in Hawaii. I have questions.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.  Everyone knows that none of the available vaccines are 100% effective for any variant of the virus.  The vaccines will make your illness less severe if you still contract the virus after being vaccinated.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D    Sounds perhaps even a smidgen better than the trial numbers;  I do hope as they learn more we, too, will get the information.

The medical people I respect most have never promised we could return to total safety just because we had been vaccinated, but we were told the likelihood of fatal disease or even hospitalization would would fall dramatically.  That seems to be the Hawaiian experience so far.

Trusted Contributor

Being vaccinated against covid does not mean you will never contract it.  It is just like the flu, you get vaccinated every year but there is no guarantee that you won't contract it. If you do, the case will be less severe, and the symptoms not as bad but you can still get it. Same as covid. I read that the covid vaccine may become an annual vaccine like the flu.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not surprising. 

Two times I got the flu about 1 month after receiving the vaccine.  They were much worse than anytime I had the flu when I didn't get the vaccine even though we are told the symptoms wouldn't be as bad.  

So, I don't believe everything I hear.  

So far the vaccine is iffy.  How long will immunity last, as well?  Some are saying 3-6 months just like the flu vaccine, but no one knows at this point.  

Studies on these vaccines are ongoing and rightly so.  Look at the form signed before the vaccine is given.  It says they are experimental.  

Super Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Being vaccinated against covid does not mean you will never contract it.  It is just like the flu, you get vaccinated every year but there is no guarantee that you won't contract it. If you do, the case will be less severe, and the symptoms not as bad but you can still get it. Same as covid. I read that the covid vaccine may become an annual vaccine like the flu.

Exactly correct!   Plus those that have had Moderna or Pfizer have an even better chance of not getting it or having less severe symptoms.   J&J is more like the flu shot in that the odds are you can still get it but it's severity will be minimized, like the flu shot.   And you can still get it and be asymptomatic. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D - I understand the point you are trying to make.  You simply would like more specific information about those who were infected post injection with both doses.  You have questions, but there are no detailed answers to your questions in the article. I hope you are able to find the answers somewhere else.  

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

Not sure what point you are trying to make.  Everyone knows that none of the available vaccines are 100% effective for any variant of the virus.  The vaccines will make your illness less severe if you still contract the virus after being vaccinated.

@DottieBlue @This news constitutes a real world report. What we already know comes from clinical trial data. I am merely reporting about what is going on in actual cases, in the same way as news reports are doing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

Not surprising. 

Two times I got the flu about 1 month after receiving the vaccine.  They were worse than anytime I had the flu when I didn't get the vaccine even though we are told the symptoms wouldn't be as bad.  

So, I don't believe everything I hear.  

So, far the vaccine is iffy.  How long will immunity last, as well?  Some are saying 3-6 months just like the flu vaccine, but no one knows at this point.  

Studies on these vaccines are ongoing and rightly so.  Look at the form signed before the vaccine is given.  It says they are experimental.  

@Foxxee @Influenza vaccines of all types are much less efficacious than the mRNA vaccines against COVID, especially in older persons. The flu vaccines vary in efficacy against the many strains they are designed to protect against and the predictions for which strains will circulate are done a year in advance, making it difficult to accurately

predict which strains to make the vaccines for. In most years, the influenza vaccine efficacy is between 40%-60% for all. This is likely why you became infected despite getting vaccinated. It is also possible the vaccines you got did not contain any protection for the strains you were infected with at all. I know that I want the senior (stronger dose for seniors) quadravalent vaccines in future years, but these only protect against four strains, while there may be more than four strains in circulation.

From CDC:
"CDC 
conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses. See “Does flu vaccine effectiveness vary by type or subtype?” and “Why is flu vaccine typically less effective against influenza A H3N2 viruses?” for more information."

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@Mindy D - I understand the point you are trying to make.  You simply would like more specific information about those who were infected post injection with both doses.  You have questions, but there are no detailed answers to your questions in the article. I hope you are able to find the answers somewhere else.  

@Jersey Born @I just wanted to let people know about the cases. I also have my own questions.