Trusted Contributor

Pain In Arm 1 Week Following Flu Shot & Tetanus Injection

A week ago today had my annual physical.  Received 2 injections - a flu shot and a tetanus injection both in my left arm.

The first night the pain was so bad I could not sleep.  Pain from my shoulder all the way down the arm to the knuckles in my hand.   

Got better gradually each day.  However last night during dinner I reached over the table and felt the pain all over again in my arm.  The pain has been present now all day.  Not severe, but very uncomfortable - especially when reaching to get in a cabinet, pull a top over my head, etc.

Has anyone else experienced something simiar to this?  How long did it take to get better?

Honored Contributor

Re: Pain In Arm 1 Week Following Flu Shot & Tetanus Injection

Years ago I was advised after shots ... be sure to "exercise" your arm to prevent soreness.

So - every year when I get my flu shot I use my 3 lb weights during commercials while watching TV.  No more soreness!

Super Contributor

What did your doctor's nurse say? I believe I would report a response that severe, although tetanus shots ARE painful.

Super Contributor

Tetanus shots are extremely painful for several days after the injection. The flu shot not so much. It should get better in about a week or so. We always told our patients to take Tylenol or Motrin to lessen the pain.

Trusted Contributor

Very common to have pain as you describe after tetanus shot.  Stiffness and ache will dissipate in just a few days more. Flu shot is not the likely culprit—flu shot often gets itchy at injection site but no lasting ache. Tetanus shot discomfort can be rather vivid for a few days. Take heart, you will soon notice your arm feeling way better. 

Gentle heat (not hot) from a heating pad or a soak in a warm tub will help ease ache. Tylenol is ok for relief while sleeping. 

Feel better soon. Rejoice: tetanus shots are usually needed  10 years apart! 

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop  I had the same two injections at my physical right after Thanksgiving.  I don't remember ever being sore after getting a shot in the past, but my arm was quite sore this time for about 4 days.

Not as bad as you described, though...just a sore spot at the injection site.  I probably would have called the office if that had been the case.

Hope everything is back to normal for you now.

Honored Contributor

I would never, ever get any additional shot when getting a tetanus shot. Tetanus shots are extremely well known for being second only to rabies and iron shots as far as painful. I would have refused the flu shot or the tetanus shot so as not to get them together.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I had a HUGE lump on my arm from the tetnus/whooping cough shot and it hurt and was hot and read for days.  Then the next year I got whooping cough.  

NO reaction whatsoever this year from the flu shot.  I heard they are only 10 percent effective, so I guess NO pain no gain.  One year my arm hurt so bad I couldn't sleep for days.  My husband made fun of me until HE got one a few days later then wah wah wah wah!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

They say the tetanus shot is painful.

I don't know, the last one I had was due to an infected cat scratch and I guess that was so painful I didn't notice the pain from the shot.

Respected Contributor

You may be having either a reaction to your injections, or you may possibly have a SIRVA injury.  I am not a doctor, and I am not trying to make a diagnosis, but I truly think you should see a doctor and fully document what is happening to your arm.  SIRVA (shoulder injury related to vaccine administration) injuries, while uncommon, can and do happen, and they can be debilitating.  

I found this description of SIRVA injuries on a site called VeryWell, written by a board certified physician named Jonathan Cluett, MD:

"SIRVA is thought to be the result of incorrect placement of the vaccine into the shoulder joing or the shoulder bursa, rather than into the deltoid muscle tissue.  When the vaccine is injected into the synovial tissue of the joint or bursa, an immune response may occur causing severe inflammation.  Typical symptoms of SIRVA include:

• Significant chronic shoulder after a vaccination
  • No prior problems with the shoulder
  • Limited mobility of the shoulder joint

Patients diagnosed with SIRVA may find relief with treatments targeted at controlling the inflammation such as oral medications and cortisone injections.

Rarely is surgery necessary for the treatment of this condition, although the effective treatment of SIRVA can take months for resolution." 

I hope your problem resolves itself, but either way, your doctor should be informed about your atypical pain post injection, and that doctor, or someone else, should take a look at your arm and evaluate it.