Esteemed Contributor

Do any of you have a pacemaker?  My husband has to have one, his heart keeps beating too fast, Pills don't help it. So just wondering if anyone has one, and is it going okay?

Esteemed Contributor

Millions of people have pacemakers, both of my parents had them.

People live just fine with them.

It's a simple, routine procedure, and he'll be up and about in no time.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Yes, I have had one for about 5 years.  It is working fine.   As it turned out, I didn't HAVE to have one.  It wasn't life or death.  Beware of second opinions.....   Anyway, I go in once a year for an in office checkup and monitor check.  Then the other 3 quarters I do a remote check from home.   If anything showed up, they'd call and I'd go in to the Dr. office.  So far, so good.   At some point the batteries poop out and you have to replace them.  I doubt I'll do that but we'll see at the time.  Best to your husband.  The procedure is easy . I had one night in the hospital and went to a friends house where I was staying the next morning.  I was up and around immediately.  

Valued Contributor

My mother has had one for a bit over 8 yrs. She had two aortic aneurysm less than six months apart and after the second one she has an event in front of my and my then 3 yr old nephew. A pacemaker was put in that evening. She has travelled since you just have to go thru and have a physical pat down not go thru the scanners.She has to not be near microwaves either when they are heating.

There have been other medical events that she has been thru.

My brother and then I make sure that she has the quarterly pacemaker check. Most of the time the check can be done remotely with my brother putting some pads in certain locations and then transmit the information thru the phone lines. Once a year she must go in person to see the clinic to have it checked up on. 
We were told that the batteries that are in the pacemaker must be changed out every ten years. My mother states that she does not even feel it most of the time. 

It is a bit of a trade off to live a long and healthy life.

If I remember correctly there is a young actress --Julie Bowen who has worn a pacemaker for a few years. I do not know why but I think this is what I remember.

Esteemed Contributor

@msgb wrote:

My mother has had one for a bit over 8 yrs. She had two aortic aneurysm less than six months apart and after the second one she has an event in front of my and my then 3 yr old nephew. A pacemaker was put in that evening. She has travelled since you just have to go thru and have a physical pat down not go thru the scanners.She has to not be near microwaves either when they are heating.

There have been other medical events that she has been thru.

My brother and then I make sure that she has the quarterly pacemaker check. Most of the time the check can be done remotely with my brother putting some pads in certain locations and then transmit the information thru the phone lines. Once a year she must go in person to see the clinic to have it checked up on. 
We were told that the batteries that are in the pacemaker must be changed out every ten years. My mother states that she does not even feel it most of the time. 

It is a bit of a trade off to live a long and healthy life.

If I remember correctly there is a young actress --Julie Bowen who has worn a pacemaker for a few years. I do not know why but I think this is what I remember.

Actually, both of my parents had pacemakers, and they used a microwave all of the time, and suffered no ill effects as a result.

As for the airport, the doctor said to not go through the walk-through metal detector, but that the AIT, the one that you stand in for like three seconds, is fine, as it uses sound waves. 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

I have had one for 10 years and its fine.  I have only flown twice since I had it, just did the security thing where you walk in and stand so it was not a big deal.  That was right after I got it.  I go in twice a year for a check Pacer check.  It is all fine and life continues as normal.

When I go into a federal building (jury duty) you just tell them aAfnd then wand you instead of going through the metal detector.  

I use my microwave every day and life is very VERY Normal. 

When I got mine, I was out of the hospital the same day

Honored Contributor

I've had one for 28 years, the battery has been replaced twice.  The whole thing was easy for me, except once I dislodged the new wire while putting on a pair of boots two days after replacement.  Doc should have put me in a sling for a couple days.  So my heart wasn't "capturing" all the signals. I wasn't in any danger and they immediately got me in and repositioned the wire.  Overall its the least intrusive health issue I have. I originally had bradychardia, a slow heartbeat.

Respected Contributor

My Mom has had one for years now.  Simple, everyday procedure with no complications.  She has her for A Fib.  

Honored Contributor

@gloriajean wrote:

Do any of you have a pacemaker?  My husband has to have one, his heart keeps beating too fast, Pills don't help it. So just wondering if anyone has one, and is it going okay?

I'm sorry for your husband's diagnosis. 

My heart was doing the same, beating so fast you couldn't even get a pulse.

In my case, the meds worked.   But there may come a time I need a pacemaker.

There's been some great improvements in the device & the surgery.

Praying for an excellent outcome.

Respected Contributor

I've worn one for about 12 years now..  No problems.  Don't even know it's there.  The only inconvenicne is that the Dr. checks it and me  every 6 months but it's a very simple procedure.  One friend has worn his for over 25 years.....it has been replaced a few times though.