Respected Contributor

I realize that this is a personal question and everyone has a different experience. 

Would any of you be willing to share a POSITIVE experience about getting a pacemaker. 

I have a close  family member who is having the surgery in two weeks and I'm trying to encourage her and not worry too much myself.  

Honored Contributor

The sister of an old friend had a pacemaker put in about 7 years ago after I encouraged her.  

Her doctor had mentioned the possibility of her needing one, but she was hesitant to agree because she did not know anyone who had one or actually knew anything about the procedure to insert one, or how it worked.   She had passed out numerous times after experiencing general weakness, and lightheadedness, and was ordered to stop driving until she dealt with the issue.  

Her procedure went very well and she was discharged from the hospital the next day.   She has not had any health problems or issues with the pacemaker itself, and is glad she had it done.    

Google insertion of pacemaker to read specifics of how the procedure is done.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop   Sometimes, all you need is just a little encouragement as a boost.  It was fortunate that you encouraged your friend, and I thank you for your positive words. 

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

I realize that this is a personal question and everyone has a different experience. 

Would any of you be willing to share a POSITIVE experience about getting a pacemaker. 

I have a close  family member who is having the surgery in two weeks and I'm trying to encourage her and not worry too much myself.  

If she/he really needs a pacemaker. there is only one answer.   Get it done.. The individual won't  even know it's  there in about 2  weeks.    I had to have it done about 12    years ago also  with questions and fears  but after a short time I never  thought about it except when it was time for the pacemaker to be checked.   Since that time, many in  my  extended  family    wear   them and without  incident.  What will  be a disaster  is to wait  until  it's too  late.

Regular Contributor

Husband had one implanted a few months ago.  It is the size of a large vitamin pill.  Very small.  Actually they removed a loop recorder and put in the pacemaker.  He has permanent afib along with other problems.  He was in the hospital only overnight with no problems. Have a monitor bedside and every  so often he is asked to manually send in a signal by pressing button on monitor and holding a device to pacemaker. Very easy.

Trusted Contributor

I have one, it was put in 9 years ago.  I was actually out of the hospital the same day.  I go in for my Pacercheck  every 6 months but other than that You can hardly tell it is there.  they give you a card to carry with you that states the make and model number in case ofy are ever in an accident.

albeit I was scared at the time because to me walking into the hospital for anything scares me.

If they need it do it.

Valued Contributor

My mother in her upper 80's has one. She was fitted with one after she had an aortic dissection and then had some sort of a seizure (in front of my and my then 3 yr old nephew). It was after that experience that she was fitted with a pacemaker. That was almost 8 yrs ago. She has lived thankfully due to the pacemaker helping her when needed. There are things that you need to do when travelling (there is a note that you take with you so that you do not walk thru the scanner--you need a pat down). There are a few other rules that you have to follow but it is a small price to be able to live a longer life. 

My mother has to have quarterly check up on the pacemaker but they can be remote and that she goes physically to the office once a year.

If memory serves right, I think the actress -Julie Bowen-- wears a pacemaker. I do not know what the condition is that causes her to have been fitted with it but I think she has had it for a number of years.

Respected Contributor

My Mother had a pacemaker inserted several years ago because of A Fib.  She has other medical conditions which made her nervous about having this done.  The procedure went smoothly and my Mom did very well.  Having a pacemaker put in is a very common everyday procedure.  

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy @msgb @Miss Pepsi @pachutabelle @HiLo 

I want to thank you all for your positive replies.  The procedure certainly sounds straightforward enough.  Although everyone is different, and no surgery is minor, especially when it's you or a loved one,  it never hurts to have positive reactions from someone who has been through it.  

Honored Contributor
No good news from me.

I know three people who had pacemakers- two died from a stroke. Read about the occurrences of strokes in people with pacemakers.

The third died in recovery after a hip replacement.