Honored Contributor

Pacemaker Surgery Anyone?

[ Edited ]

A close friend told me that her husband's cardiologist has recommended installation of a dual-lead pacemaker for his slow, irregular heartbeat (she called it bradycardia).  She is worried about the surgery and recovery.  He is a recently-retired carpenter, so is used to maintaining an active lifestyle.  I am not much help since I don't know a lot about this procedure.  I have googled a few sites for knowledge.  Any real-world info I can pass on when I next speak with her?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Pacemaker Surgery Anyone?

[ Edited ]

All I know about them is my dad had one. From what I understand it's installed just under you skin. A thin wire is run up through the groin area to connect to the heart. It has to replaced but I don't know how often. This is how my dad's was done. I know he had his replaced once during the time he had it. He had some machine on his nightstand that the doctor's office could see. Any time there was issue with his heart or pacemaker they knew it & called him. They knew when he passed.

Just wanted to add that dad went home the same day as the procedure.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the WRONG place to ask that question.  She should have discussed her worries with her husband's Cardiologist when he made the recommendation.  If her husband had concerns, he should have done them at the same time.  If they have new concerns, they ought to make another appointment to see the Cardiologist BEFORE the procedure is done to air their concerns.  You can't "transfer" one person's experience to another person.  Each person is different and may have different responses and reactions.  They have to talk to their Cardiologist.

Highlighted
Contributor

The Cardiologist should be the one asked about the procedure.

Saying that..I have had a pacemaker for almost 3 years now.  The surgery was simple and recovery was just a matter of days.  I have a machine that I use every 3 months to send info to the pacemaker clinic.  Simple matter of holding machine up to pacemaker and pushing a button to transmit.  Then the clinic calls to let me know they received the transmission and tells me if all looked good.  Most times I forget the pacemaker is there.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter 

I know 2 friends that have pacemakers and for 2 different reasons. While I know the basic installation procedure, there are more than 1 type of pacemaker. Questions beyond that I have no personal knowledge.

While I have attended 72 Cardiac Rehabilitation Classes, none of them had Pace Makers as the topic. As another poster mentioned, each individual may have different experiences, so the Cardiologist in charge is the best source for your close friend.

Can't really add more.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My 76 yr old cousin just had a pacemaker inserted 2 weeks ago.

His initial problems were traced to a bad aortic valve, which was replaced in a procedure that kept him in the hospital overnight. He came home on a monitor, and within a week the monitor readings showed serious rhythm issues with his heart.

My cousin was contacted to report to the ER immediately, and within hours had the pacemaker put in. As far as recovering from the pacemaker, he is doing fine, but cannot lift anything heavier than 5 lbs. His overall recovery is a bit slower due to the valve replacement, but the Dr thinks he is doing fine for what he's been thru.

I personally think the mental anxiety is what is getting to my cousin at this point, and causing increased anxiety. He has always "prided" himself on taking care of his body; eating healthy, exercising, keeping his weight down, and quite truthfully he has been rigid/to the extreme about it.

Now he feels "betrayed" by the body he worked so hard to take care of. Seriously, my cousin is unable to process his heart condition, when he feels he did everything right, and this shouldn't be happening to him!
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the information and advice.  I guess the best thing I can do as her friend is to listen to her concerns and be there for her if she desires company.  My husband and I have already offered to help them out in any way we can.  Fortunately, they have children and grandchilden who will assist with their household chores. 

According to some internet sites, it looks like full physical recovery takes around 2 months.  I suspect the hardest part of rehab will be keeping him from trying to do too much too soon.    

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter Your friend needs to have an EXTENSIVE dialog with the cardiologist. So does her DH.

This is NOT the place to get info from strangers about something SO personal and serious.

Pass it on to your friend. SHE needs to talk to the doctor.

Contributor

if you have questons or concerns always seek another opinion before signing on the dotted line

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop 

I can tell you this from talking with many "men" during my many Cardiac Rehab Classes. A big percentage of them are more psychologically disturbed than physically disturbed. They offer Classes in the evenings for spouses or caretakers, SO.

The ones like your cousin are the exception, not how most men were pre heart issue. I talked with a very small minority that took good care of their bodies. Myself, and maybe 3 other men, were ones that were physically(not medically) in good shape at the time of their issue(mine were heart attacks, others were not).

I was 64 when I had my 1st heart attack and I did not, and do not, feel my body let me down. Quite the contrary. Had it not been for my lung capacity and physical fitness, I would not had survived. Why? I also had Aspiration Pneumonia, which would have killed me if not for my lungs capacity to handle so much fluid. Again, all from my physical(not medical) conditioning.

For me I had known for decades that because my maternal genetics, I was predisposed to a Cardiac Event. Everyone on my mothers side died of some form of Cardiac Disease, including my mother. And 5 of her 7 brothers died on their 50's from this disease.

I don't know your cousin's genetics, but to think that his body betrayed him? If this is effecting the way he now lives, talking with a professional just might be of some help. But, again with the Male older gender, they(he) may view that as a sign of weakness.

For me it took 14 years and many Life/Death medical issues to regain my physical fitness, but at no time did/ do I feel my body betrayed me.  I was born with certain genetics which cannot be changed, but my hard work has, in my and doctors opinions, saved my life. My hope is your cousin realizes this and moves forward with his recovery.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)