Super Contributor

Can anyone share a good OTC medicine for mouth ulcers? To be clear, this is not a fever blister on the lip, but the small white ulcers on the inside cheek, or roof of mouth, or toungue.I get them from stress, my granddaughter gets them from eating fresh tomatoes! Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: OTC med for mouth ulcer?

[ Edited ]

A simple home remedy that works for me is baking soda. A little dabbed on the sore. Another suggestion is something my dentist recommended, which I've forgotten the name of. Ask your dentist. It is OTC.

These are painful.

Super Contributor

I haven't tried baking soda, but do rinse with warm salt water. When I was growing up, I heard to put a Phillips Milk of Magnesia tablet on the ulcer. I remember doing that, but don't remember if it helped!!

Trusted Contributor

I get them about three times a year.  I put peroxide on a q-tip to cleanse it, then use some Oragel to numb it.   Works for me. 

Valued Contributor

At one time, I was plagued by these sores - then I started taking L-Lysine and have never had anothe one - I take one each day - and if I eat potato chips (sharp edges) I take another one at night.

Trusted Contributor

I relay on Kanka brand, my kids and myself get them often.  The best one is the bottle with the round dropper.

Honored Contributor

When I was going thru chemo, the oncology people told me to put baking soda and salt in water and swish my mouth with it several times a day. I did that and never got the mouth sores that chemo can bring on. think I put 1 tsp of each in 2 cups of water.

Honored Contributor

I take Lysine pills which help over night

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

I use Anbesol, or generic from walmart.  Dip a qtip in and touch the sore spot (but don't doubledip!).  Works like a charm to deaden the area.  Be careful to not touch your lip or other area because it will numb that too!  

Respected Contributor

I dip a Q-tip in a little hydrogen peroxide until it's saturated, then drip it right onto the ulcer. If you need to do it again, flip it over to the unused tip. No double dipping with the used tip. An alternative is rinsing with Peroxyl, which seems to be a combination of hydrogen peroxide and mouthwash. Both work well, especially if used before going to sleep for the night.