Esteemed Contributor

My hubby was in his 50's when he was diagnosed. He opted for removal of the prostate.

He had the surgery done at Johns Hopkins by a surgeon that specialized in this procedure. 

My advice would be to find a surgeon that specializes in prostate cancer. 

Valued Contributor

I thank you all for your responses.  My nephew is currently taking a hormone that is supposed to suppress the growth while he sees other surgeons.  He is dealing with excellent hospitals in Pittsburgh.  He has also been advised about the seeding and if the cancer would reoccur he couldn't have surgery.  I think what has him most concerned is that he went from a normal PSA at last year's physical to cancer and a very high PSA just 10 months later.  My sister-his mother-just recently died from a fast spreading colon cancer.  She was very passive about her treatment, whereas my husband had very aggressive treatment with his stage 3-4 colon cancer almost 20 years ago and he's still alive.  

If there are any positives in this case, my nephew is retiring from a 35 year career with the government.  He has excellent health insurance and we live within driving distance of the Cleveland Clinic, one of the best hospitals in the nation.  He's divorced, no pets and his family , me included, will do whatever is necessary to help him.

Honored Contributor

My husband fought prostate cancer for  many yeas,he had aggressive , my advice is get a doctor that specializes in this , my husband found a doctor at Beth  Israel hospital ,he  was great ,kept him alive for years, but in 2013 it all came to a end.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

My husband fought prostate cancer for  many yeas,he had aggressive , my advice is get a doctor that specializes in this , my husband found a doctor at Beth  Israel hospital ,he  was great ,kept him alive for years, but in 2013 it all came to a end.

So very sorry for your loss.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I am your nephew and your family are going through this.  My DH was much older than your nephew,he was 71.  His prostate cancer was found a few days after his rectal cancer was.  His was 2 separate cancers,different types. One did not cause the other. 

For his prostate cancer they did radition treatments on that after treatments for his rectal cancer,plus he got 2 hormone shots a few months apart. His PSA went down to basically 0. So far his PSA is still down.  They said if it starts to go up again he has to start the shots again.  Those shots were the worst, hot flashes, weight gain, tired. DH said he feels bad for women going thru menopause.  same symptoms.

He was carrying some extra weight but his onocologist didn't want him losing weight   during his radiation treatments plus he chemo via pills.  No idea why because he was going to have surgery for the other cancer. I would have thought they wanted  weight lose for the surgery, but no.

Each case is different and is approached differently. Talk to his onocologist and I assume he has a ureologist.  If you feel a second opinion don't hesitate to ask for one.

Wishing you all the best during this ordeal.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   An oncologist urologist, one doctor, is the doctor to see, not just a urologist

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl   My husband had a ureologist and his onocologist conferred with him and with his gastro Dr. who did his rectal cancer surgery.  Also included was his radiologist.  The whole  team kept in touch and treated him.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@mousiegirl   My husband had a ureologist and his onocologist conferred with him and with his gastro Dr. who did his rectal cancer surgery.  Also included was his radiologist.  The whole  team kept in touch and treated him.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   A relative went to a urologist. He treated her for a while, then referred her to an oncologist urologist at a cancer center.  Often, urologists misdiagnose the symptoms, and by the time someone gets to the proper doctor, it is too late, but in yoiur case, it seems to have worked well.

Honored Contributor

My youngest brother was diagnosed about two years ago when he was 55. The doctors went over all of his options.

He chose the most aggressive treatment and got his prostate removed.  He was back to work in a few weeks and is doing very well.

When I was working my "cube mate" who was in his late 40's was diagnosed with prostate cancer too.  He and his wife discussed it and together they chose aggressive treatment and he had his prostate removed.  He was extremely upset about the possible side effects and discussed them with me.

I assured him that if my husband were in his place, I would rather have him healthy and cancer free and we could work around the side effects. After he had the surgery.  The poor guy had to wear protection for a few months because his urine dribbled.  Eventually, it stopped.  He is doing well today.

I think the patient, his wife/partner and his doctor should make the final decision.  Other family members should respect the decision made and stay out of it.

Trusted Contributor

@Mary Bailey 

Hi I am curious how your husband is doing.   My 55 year old husband was just diagnosed with prostate cancer.   Thanks,

Esteemed Contributor

First I want to say this for others information. Prostate Cancer, similar to Colon Cancer, is one of the most preventable  types of cancer. I have had 2 of my best friends die of Prostate Cancer, 1 that always told me "ain't no doctor sticking his digit up my ***". Other "just didn't have time". Both were well over 50 when diagnosed.

@bootsanne 

Several of my other friends were also diagnosed(5 I know for sure) years ago. They all chose the surgical option because they were getting annual digital and PSA testing.

Their surgeries, 3 I know for sure, were followed up with a number or radiation treatments. The 3 I know real well are in their 80's now and living pretty normal lives years after their cancer diagnosis. They all feel they made the right choice for their levels of Prostate Cancer.

Since you have said your nephew is in "general good health", it would seem he has several options.

My personal feeling is all his relatives should not push him one way or the other. Make sure he has the best information available, and a doctor in this field that specializes in this type of cancer. Leave him alone to make his own decision. The last thing a person needs in a situation as serious as this, is 10 people with 20 different opinions, on what he should do.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)