Honored Contributor

@bootsannedon't forget to take good care of yourself too. You both have a lot to deal with

Respected Contributor
Bootsanne, Please don't forget your legal rights for a second opinion. Take care of yourself and husband. My two sisters are nurses but from what they tell me Doctors do make mistakes. I don't want to scare you.
If he feels bad , take him in. Take care of yourselves. I am hoping all will be well. Hugs.Please come back and let us know.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: PNEUMONIA QUESTIONS

[ Edited ]

His hemoglobin was 7.2???????  Good heavens, no wonder he feels bad.  Mine went to 7.5 twice and was given 2 pints of blood each time.  Also had to have an iron transfusion.  Not low enough???  I would consult another Dr. very quickly.  I would be very concerned about his lack of energy!

I had double pneumonia twice in 6 months, was a little younger than your husband and it took me a long time to get over.  I had pneumonia shots, too, and also got the Prevnar 13 last year when the insurance finally covered it.

Oh yes, my a-fib went crazy, too.  Seems to only do that under trauma.

Hoping the best for your husband.  I know how he feels!!

Valued Contributor

He's lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks.  I made an appointment with the oncologist we see once a year for his blood work.  He's going tomorrow morning and may possibly get a transfusion.  I know this sounds horrible but I'm totally exhausted doing everything and I'm getting annoyed.  His family all knows his condition and not one of them--including his globe-trotting daughter--has offered  an hour of help.  If I go down there will be nobody to take care of him. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

He's lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks.  I made an appointment with the oncologist we see once a year for his blood work.  He's going tomorrow morning and may possibly get a transfusion.  I know this sounds horrible but I'm totally exhausted doing everything and I'm getting annoyed.  His family all knows his condition and not one of them--including his globe-trotting daughter--has offered  an hour of help.  If I go down there will be nobody to take care of him. 

@bootsanne  It does not sound horrible.  Along w/the physical energy, there is the mental worry, too.  I'm so sorry you are going thru this.  It gets so frustrating.  Maybe you need to be checked out to make sure you can handle this.  I'm sure your family Dr could tell you where you could get some assistance.  My Dr is very good at this.  Good luck.  God Bless!

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

My husband is 87 but has always looked and acted 15 years younger and has been as strong as an ox.  He got the type fluB twice last year back to back and it took a couple of months for him to get better.  He also have severe spinal stenosis and sciatica and no treatment has helped.

He had cataract surgery on November 26, did very well but complained of feeling lousy a few days later.  I took him to our local Urgent Care on Saturday where after several chest x-rays they said his lungs were clear, just mild bronchitis and sent him home with cough medicine..  He got sicker and 2 days later he fell out of bed and was too weak to get up.  An ambulance took him to the ER where he was admitted with double pneumonia and his a-fib was going nuts.  He spent most of December in and out of the hospital.  He's had 5 CT scans, at least 4 chest x-rays, 3 EKGs and loads of blood work.  All tests come back negative--which is great--but the red blood counts have been low.  7.2 and they should be around 14.  The doctors won't give him a transfusion because they feel it's not low enough.  

Well he's been home for 3 weeks, had home health care and we've followed up with all the doctors, heart, pulmonary, and pcp.  He still feels lousy.  He has zero energy, very lethargic.  He's not on any antibiotics, just his heart meds.  We have 2 more appointments next week.  Have any of you had  or known anyone who had double pneumonia?  I know at his age he's not going to bounce back quickly, but his lack of any energy is problematic.

@bootsanne  I do not have an answer for you, but just want to say wow you and DH have been through so much!   Perhaps nutrition is the answer to buildup his immunity and strength.  How about fresh juicing....you can buy a juicer on Amazon for not too much.  Fresh apple, carrot spinach juice and whatever else you can come up with  several  times a day.

Valued Contributor

So many kind responses which I thank you.  Just back from oncologist--he's a kind, wonderful doctor--who said all in all husband is in pretty good shape considering what he's been through.  He's anemic but not enough for a transfusion.  They're going to do a series of IV iron rransfusions and if not better in 8 weeks, then they might do a transfusion.  Even the nurse said they rairly transfuse unless you go below 7.

Respected Contributor
Bootsanne, I am happy with that news.
Respected Contributor
PS, I always worry when I hear the word Pneumonia. I hope you and DH get some rest. Take care and come back.