Honored Contributor

When you lay flat on your back on a hard flat surface.....is it difficult for you to lay flat on your back?  Also, Is it difficult for you to get up from laying flat without holding on to something to get leverage?

i am just asking as I rarely ever lay flat on my back on the floor....and today when I did, the hollow of my back hurt at the spine.  I am guessing I need to do this more to stretch out my back

.  I can not use one of those Teeter hang up exercise things as I have four joint replacements and was told it was not good to use with joint replacements.

I also have a hard hard time getting up from laying flat on my back....I guess I need to do that more to  just to strengthen the muscles that are not strong for getting up.

will be interested in hearing if it is just “me” or if others also have a hard time with flat on your back on the floor. ThankYou 🙂

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for those 60 plus

I don't 'bounce' like I used to - and that's a fact!    Yes, after using Lori G's doctor disc stretcher -   i.e., to realign back disc that are rubbing on another disc .....I don't jump up like when I was 6 years old.  To be expected - I assume.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a yoga mat that I sit or lay down on when I do my stretching. Flat on my back I do some leg-lifts with ankle weights, too. I can get up just fine without using anything to hold on to. What I can't do is stand up directly from an Indian-sitting position without using my hands...it's so hard!

Search:  The sit-stand test that predicts longevity

Respected Contributor

No, it’s not a problem for me laying on my back, nor do I have any issue getting up thankfully. However, I am a runner and do spinning, buti yoga and high fitness classes at my local gym.  I am fortunate to be healthy enough to do all of this and can honestly report, I do not have any  age related aches/pains...let me correct that, sometimes if I run more than 7 miles, my knees feel weird, so I cut it off at 7. I have been active since high school, being involved in sports and also kept up my activity during all 4 of my pregnancies. It definitely pays off as we age. My father is 92 and swims every other morning...he’s my role model!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden I would dare to say it's considered normal for folks over the age of 50 to  experience some discomforts when lying flat on hard surfaces and some lag time when getting up from the floor.  Speaking for myself as one who suffers from chronic pain and has endured several spinal surgeries I can't say enough good things about Pilates in battling this situation.  In fact, I was introduced to Pilates by a physical therapist about 25 years ago when I was trying to avoid having back surgery.  Although I had the surgeries, I swear that I am fluid and only moderately stiff due to the Pilates.    

Honored Contributor

@Trix  I used to do Pilates 15 years ago.  I recycled my reformer as it was on the floor and hard to use.... but I was more flexible.

Valued Contributor

I don't think it's that unusual to have back discomfort lying on a flat, hard surface. I've had bone density and other tests where they  automatically put a pillow under your knees because it is so uncomfortable to lie flat. Lifting your knees takes pressure off the lower back.....I sure don't get up as quickly as I once did,  mostly because of my creaky joints.

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

No, it’s not a problem for me laying on my back, nor do I have any issue getting up thankfully. However, I am a runner and do spinning, buti yoga and high fitness classes at my local gym.  I am fortunate to be healthy enough to do all of this and can honestly report, I do not have any  age related aches/pains...let me correct that, sometimes if I run more than 7 miles, my knees feel weird, so I cut it off at 7. I have been active since high school, being involved in sports and also kept up my activity during all 4 of my pregnancies. It definitely pays off as we age. My father is 92 and swims every other morning...he’s my role model!

@bmorechick Impressive!  And your knees do not hurt  with all that running?  That is wonderful!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden. Since you have joint replacements I would be very careful getting up or exercising. Don’t do anything that hurts.

I used to do Aerobics, Jazzercise, machines, tennis and both water & snow skiing, skating, (ice & roller). Etc.

I have a Pilates machine that is old that I can’t use now since I have two bad knees and now a stress fracture to my lower spine from a fall. It healed but I am careful.

When getting up from being flat on your back the stomach muscles are used, try tightening them. Your inner core strength is the basis of Pilates. Or,roll over to your side and use your hands to help.

Walking is a great exercise but be careful of gum balls and hickory nuts,etc. Falling isn’t an option!

The best exercise I have found EVER is Tai Chi. I do 24 form daily.There are many classes that teach it and after you know the motions it flows and becomes natural. Even the stretches help.

It can be modified for your joint replacements. It can be done in your mind to relax or to help you sleep.

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@SeaMaiden. Since you have joint replacements I would be very careful getting up or exercising. Don’t do anything that hurts.

I used to do Aerobics, Jazzercise, machines, tennis and both water & snow skiing, skating, (ice & roller). Etc.

I have a Pilates machine that is old that I can’t use now since I have two bad knees and now a stress fracture to my lower spine from a fall. It healed but I am careful.

When getting up from being flat on your back the stomach muscles are used, try tightening them. Your inner core strength is the basis of Pilates. Or,roll over to your side and use your hands to help.

Walking is a great exercise but be careful of gum balls and hickory nuts,etc. Falling isn’t an option!

The best exercise I have found EVER is Tai Chi. I do 24 form daily.There are many classes that teach it and after you know the motions it flows and becomes natural. Even the stretches help.

It can be modified for your joint replacements. It can be done in your mind to relax or to help you sleep.

@1Snickers  ThankYou.  I do walk almost daily for an hour.  I do squats to strengthen my legs, and upper body resistance training.  I need to start doing my core strengthing with my  balance ball.  Tai Chi fascinates me.  I will look into it per your suggestion.  As far as falling....I took a  very hard fall last year on ice....so now I am VERY careful when walking!