Valued Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:

@AnikaBrodie I'm so very sorry you lost your Friend to this terrible Disease I'm sending Prayers you're way as I was found to have a Tumor in my Lung in December 2015. Mine is Operable and curable I'm told and yet Yesterday they did a Test with a Scope in my Throat to see if there are Cancer Cells in my Mediastinum Lymph Nodes, I'm praying there isn't. This Surgery yester was scary but nescessary. It went smootly and I went Home yesterday. I'm doing Ok though I have Pain in my Throat and on the outside where the Incision was made for the Scope to go in. If they find Cells in this area I will need Chemotherapy and Radiation for a minimum of six wekks I was told. Then Surgery to remove Tumor  that will consist of removinfg one of my Lobes on the rist side and some Lymph Nodes.Thank you all for helping me get through this first pfase and more to come hoping only one more phase.

@kitty4me I'm so glad things went well during your procedure and you are recovering at home.  Hoping you get good news.   

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

@kitty4me

Thanks for your prayers re. my friend.  We were childhood friends.

I hope you receive the results of your lung biopsy very soon, and that the results are negative for cancer.  If they are negative you will probably have to be tested routinely for a period of time, perhaps every 3 to 6 months initially. 

As a two time cancer survivor I underwent numerous exams, tests, ultrasounds, and biopsies before my cancer was confirmed.  Be your own advocate and discuss all options with your doctor(s). 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

My parents were life long smokers and spent their final days tethered to an oxygen machine.  Smoking is horrible.

Trusted Contributor

@AnikaBrodie too have lost a Childhood Friend to Bladder Cancer and my other Childhood Friend who in fact along with my Sister we always were together. our other Friend just a few years fought Colon Cancer and now I'm fighting Lung Cancer. I have a Tumor we knew is in my RUL and is about 11/2 inches. My Surgeon was planning on removing it along with some lymph Nodes to check them for Cancer. Well I under went a Pet Scan and an area called the Mediastinum lit up. So that is why on Friday they did a Mediastinoscopy where a scope is inserted and I think they remove some Tissue to test for Cancer Cells.                                                                                                                   

I was aware I would require a Major Surgery to remove the Tumor and some Lymph Nodes in that one section of the Lung. This area now we didn't foresee. I have gone from Stage 1 to maybe Stage 3. I'm told still curable and operable. If there are cancer Cells in this are I will require Chemotherapy and Radiation before my Surgery. I'm so afraid I can't even begin to tell you that I keep getting and expecting bad news. While I have been praying this is a false positive and in my Head I'm not so sure. I go see my Surgeon on Wednesday. While I got through this Surgery no Twilight Sleep. They put me out fully. Breathing Tube and a machine breathing for me. I now have an Incision in my Throat that is still sore as is my throat on the Inside.                                            

I too had a Heart Attack less than two years ago and I'm sure Smoking contributed to it. It was that day My Cardiologist stood at the foot of my Bed and said you have to stop Smoking now. Well my last Cigarette was the day of my Heart Attack 3/24/2014.I just wish I had quit sooner . I was just scared. Thanks for all the kind replies I really enjoy all of your support.

Honored Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:

@AnikaBrodie too have lost a Childhood Friend to Bladder Cancer and my other Childhood Friend who in fact along with my Sister we always were together. our other Friend just a few years fought Colon Cancer and now I'm fighting Lung Cancer. I have a Tumor we knew is in my RUL and is about 11/2 inches. My Surgeon was planning on removing it along with some lymph Nodes to check them for Cancer. Well I under went a Pet Scan and an area called the Mediastinum lit up. So that is why on Friday they did a Mediastinoscopy where a scope is inserted and I think they remove some Tissue to test for Cancer Cells.                                                                                                                   

I was aware I would require a Major Surgery to remove the Tumor and some Lymph Nodes in that one section of the Lung. This area now we didn't foresee. I have gone from Stage 1 to maybe Stage 3. I'm told still curable and operable. If there are cancer Cells in this are I will require Chemotherapy and Radiation before my Surgery. I'm so afraid I can't even begin to tell you that I keep getting and expecting bad news. While I have been praying this is a false positive and in my Head I'm not so sure. I go see my Surgeon on Wednesday. While I got through this Surgery no Twilight Sleep. They put me out fully. Breathing Tube and a machine breathing for me. I now have an Incision in my Throat that is still sore as is my throat on the Inside.                                            

I too had a Heart Attack less than two years ago and I'm sure Smoking contributed to it. It was that day My Cardiologist stood at the foot of my Bed and said you have to stop Smoking now. Well my last Cigarette was the day of my Heart Attack 3/24/2014.I just wish I had quit sooner . I was just scared. Thanks for all the kind replies I really enjoy all of your support.

Thinking of you and praying that you will be cured. You are doing everything possible to stay as healthy as you can so again remember to be kind to yourself regarding that you smoked for many years. I know how hard it is to quit.....I was there many years ago and understand.

Just know that I am thinking of you and wish you my best....

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

A chain smoker at work is recovering from lung cancer and she still goes outide and smokes. its sad. real sad

That really speaks to the addictive nature of tobacco. I agree it is sad that a lot of people probably got hooked and never expected to.

Trusted Contributor
Thank you Trinity 11 I'm really hoping I get great news tomorrow. Absolutely No Cigarettes for me EVER. I pray with all my Heart I can beat this. I live day to day frightened and constantly thinking about this. Thanks everyone.

Honored Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:
Thank you Trinity 11 I'm really hoping I get great news tomorrow. Absolutely No Cigarettes for me EVER. I pray with all my Heart I can beat this. I live day to day frightened and constantly thinking about this. Thanks everyone.

Please let us know how you are doing. I hope and pray that all will be well, too.Heart

Trusted Contributor
Anita Brodie I'm so very sorry to hear of you Friends passing. Prayers are being sent you way.
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kcladyz wrote:

A chain smoker at work is recovering from lung cancer and she still goes outide and smokes. its sad. real sad

That really speaks to the addictive nature of tobacco. I agree it is sad that a lot of people probably got hooked and never expected to.

@Trinity11  I remember a woman who came to work with an oxygen tank due to emphysema from smoking,, the small portable, and breathed with the bag on her faceall day,  but then would take a break and smoke.  I was very young, but it shocked me.