Super Contributor

Re: PATIENT PORTALS - PRO OR CON?

My concern with patient portals, the doctors can see it all.  I do have one and three different hospital affiliations are all on it.  So if I go for a second opinion or even want to change a doctor, I was wondering about it.

Honored Contributor

@Neetgal2  It doesn't matter if you sign up to the portal or not, the doctors still use the system and all the other providers on the same system can see your records and results.

The only difference is, you can't see what they see if you don't sign on.

Honored Contributor

I love the fact that I don't have to keep explaining to one doctor about another doctor's care. It's all there for them to see and keeps my appointments flowing smoothly. 

I had breast cancer surgery last year in July and when I went to see my cardiologist for my regular visit, he already knew my diagnosis and what new medication was added.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I must be the odd man out, but I don't like the one I have (had!).

I don't trust putting my personal medical info online for anyone to 'steal', for possibly nefarious reasons (hacking, etc.).

Besides, the one I had constantly sent me emails re: saving the planet issues.

Now, that's a worthy cause, but they also told me that they can 'see' that I still pay a lot of my bills by check rather than online.

So, how exactly would they know that???

I reported that one as 'spam' to stop receiving their emails and lo and behold, I then noticed an email that I has requested a password change, that came from them.

Too creepy for me. I can get the same info by simply calling the Dr's office, without the intrusion in my email.

Email systems are not secure at all, no matter what they want you to believe!

Honored Contributor

As a general rule, I really don't like them and I worry about my medical information being  "out there."  However, I do admit that with one doctor I do have one and it has been really a wonderful thing.  I have a long standing relationship with him and any time I have a question or need help quickly, he answers me through the portal very quickly.  No need to call and listen to those automated phone messages where you have to leave a message and who knows when you will get a call back - or if you should get a "real" person, which hardly ever happens, you never know when they will relay your message or how accurately.  Also, it's nice to see a record of your visits and what has transpired.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

If all the doctors don't use the same one or even have one of their own at all, what's the point.

Respected Contributor

Portals were one of the best things to ever be invented for our health care system imo!  I can read what the doctors write about my doctor visits, schedule appointments, see upcoming appointments, see test results, go back in time to see past test results, pay bills, etc.  

I am going through PT, and the physical therapist doesn't have a handout of exercises for me to do at home.  I don't know how anyone would remember all the different ones she's having me do let alone how many reps, but I can print her chart, and it has been a life saver, as she adds more as time goes along.  Some are done 15 times, some are done 10 times with holds, some are done two reps of 15, etc.  No way could I have remembered which exercises to do and for how many reps or holds!

But one of the best things is being able to communicate easily with my doctor.  She has asked me to update her periodically concerning my PT, so I have.  I was able to easily tell her how my hip bursitis injection helped.  It keeps her knowledgeable about what's going on with me, so I don't have to explain every time I see her.  It has allowed me to have a more personal relationship with her and a way for her to get to know me.

Patient portals are fabulous!

Honored Contributor

I set up portals for my primary dr and ob/gyn.

The portal for my primary dr works very well. I can set up appointments, message my him, receive messages, and see test results before the dr even comments on them. 

I'm not overly impressed with my ob/gyn's portal but it's because of the staff and doctor. They don't always respond or it can take a week to hear back. It also takes a week or more for test results to be posted. It's easier and faster to call.

Honored Contributor

We do not do portals and are suspicious of them.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

I like the main portal I have. Several of my doctors use it, and as others have said, it is easy to read doctors' notes, get quick test results, make certain appts. and contact my doctors. Some of my doctors have their own patient portals which are much more nightmarish. My advice would be " check out the portal." You may find you like it.