Honored Contributor

Re: PATIENT PORTALS - PRO OR CON?

I love having a patient portal at my allergist's office.  I can make my own appointments for allergy shots and see appointments if I need to check on something.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Tinkrbl44,You can also get test, lab results fairly quickly and without calling the drs office.

I can also get my lab results directly online from the Labcorp site.....sometimes within just a few days.

Honored Contributor

The last time I looked at my portal for some results, I discovered the results I was looking for were terribly abnormal. I waited two weeks and I did not hear back from the doctor who ordered that test so I ended up calling my doctor to find out what to do about that. Turned out he did not get my results so it appears to me that some doctors don't look at portals at all. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My medical portal is called My Chart and I love it.  Makes things so much easier...from making appointments to getting test results within hours of a test.  If I have questions about the test results, I can ask questions and usually get a response from the doctor or his nurse within 24 business hours. 

Last month, while reading my current test results, I just for the heck of it, looked at old info in there and discovered someone had put  colitis as one if my illnesses.  Never had that so I immediately put a message on the portal, doctor responded asking if I was sure.  I said yes I'm sure so he removed it.  So, it's a good way to make sure everything in your history is correct.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

The issue I have with patient portals is the fact that it is 1 person per email address.  They are not family friendly.  My husband and I go to the same Dr but must use a different email address to set up.  At the radiologist office we were set up under 1 kid then I had to bring in another kid for X-Rays so they have to change the person attached to the portal. 

I love getting the emails with my test results and having the ability to see them without going to the Dr office or getting a call.

Honored Contributor

For me--patient portals are the best thing ever!! I use them all the time and seem to get answers so much faster. I use them to ask questions of my drs and make apppointments and I get test results almost the next day. It doesn't cost me a penny either. So much easier than waiting on hold on the phone. 

Honored Contributor

I have one for years now and love it.  I started feeling a sinus infection coming on late Friday afternoon and a migraine started as well.  Woke up Sunday morning at 7:00 a.m. after a restless night feeling like death and reached for my phone and my Dr. had a 9:00 a.m. Monday morning appt available.  Got my Zpak yesterday and starting to feel more human today.   I love sending emails back and forth with the staff and my Physician through the portal.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Had one for years.  Handy sometimes.  Actually thought everyone used them.  The dentist has its own.

Honored Contributor

I love mine.  I can do everything through the the portal.  Scheduling appointments, communicating with caregivers, requesting refills for meds and see my lab results.  I had an echocardiogram last week and the results were available 2 days later.  It was reassuring to see that it was completely normal.  My cardiologist's office hasn't called yet.  Without the portal, I'd be a little nervous waiting for them to call with results.  I also have access to all my labs and the complete office visit notes.  I know that some people choose not to use to review their medical information, they'd rather wait for their doctors to give them the information but the portal has other uses.  Like when I retired and my insurance changed, I changed insurers through the portal myself.  

•  
Contributor

I love it and hate it. I love having all my lab results and being able to review doctor's notes from a visit. Makes me a more informed patient. It also can be anxiety-provoking if I look at lab results too early before my doctor's visit to explain them.