Honored Contributor

My stylist began taking Ozempic over a year ago. She wanted to lose weight...she is a beautiful girl and imo doesn't need to.

She took her son on a college visit and experienced such symptoms that she had to be hospitalized. What she had was the complication of stomach paralysis due to Ozempic. 

When she finally made it back home, she lost time at work, etc. and now has huge medical bills, etc.

The next problem that ensued was "serotonin flood".

When this occurs it is very serious. She said she couldn't get out of bed due to having a severe "fight or flight" panic reaction. She couldn't eat but her mom came to her in order to try to get her to eat.

She said that the FDA failed to warn consumers about these severe complications. She has hired a lawyer.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I blame the prescriber for giving it to her 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

The wife of a co-worker of my husband wanted to drop 30 pounds before their son's wedding this summer.  They are planning her funeral now.  The ER providers think her blood sugars may have gone too low.  

Honored Contributor

I wondered when the horror stories would begin. I don't wish it on anyone.

Having worked in a pharmacy after retiring, I can tell you she received a document with her prescription listing all the good, bad, and ugly. Perhaps she should have read it.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

There are apparently many lawsuits now.

I don't remember if she said "the manufacturer failed to warn consumers" 

or

if she said "the FDA failed to ADEQUATELY warn consumers".

After all, how many of us read the fine print?

Recently, I took an antibiotic for a UTI. No warnings from my prescriber.

I happened to google this one in the beginning.

It said "does nitrofuran cause kidney failure".
I was so out of it from the UTI that I didn't take this seriously.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

This is scary!  My nail tech has been taking not Ozempic but a similar drug where you get an injection.  I don't recall the name of it and she has been on it for a couple of months.  She has lost weight and so far she seems fine but one never knows.

I do worry about her.  I've known and have been going to her for thirty years.  

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Having worked in a pharmacy after retiring, I can tell you she received a document with her prescription listing all the good, bad, and ugly. Perhaps she should have read it.

Doesn't matter. It shouldn't even be on the market. The FDA has been so lax for a while now. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

Doesn't matter. It shouldn't even be on the market. The FDA has been so lax for a while now. 

It does matter. Users are also responsible for knowing what a drug does or could do. 

That said, the drug isn't being used as the FDA or manufacturer intended when it's for weight loss.  Why anyone would prescribe it, or take it, for weight loss is beyond me.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

It does matter. Users are also responsible for knowing what a drug does or could do. 

That said, the drug isn't being used as the FDA or manufacturer intended when it's for weight loss.  Why anyone would prescribe it, or take it, for weight loss is beyond me.

It's a quick fix. People don't want to work to lose weight. They would rather take a pill or shot and not have to do anything. What I don't understand is how people can afford it. It's about $1000 a month and insurance doesn't cover it unless you have diabetes.

Trusted Contributor

@LTT1 

My stylist took it for a few weeks until she started having uncontrollable bowel movements in her sleep and would wake up having s#$%^ the bed. She stopped taking it, of course.

If I were taking it, I would stop also. There's too much we don't know.