Valued Contributor

@webbgarner1  100% agree with everything you said.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner  Then one needs to get educated, informed, less busy etc. one has a responsibility to decide what they do and don't do, take and don't take, eat and don't eat, etc etc. Secondly, the same drug can affect 10 people 10 differnt ways, so not a one size fits all. Being accountable and responsible for one's own actions seems to be lacking in today's World.

Esteemed Contributor

Today's appetite suppressant drugs (Ozempic, GOLO, etc.) are so much more effective than drugs of the past.

I think something is needed to help people lose some weight. While you get the needed help, change your eating style to help you become successful when the whatever help is stopped. 

Important to know: weight management will be with you all of your life. It never goes away. The best thing is to learn "how" to manage it like any other problem. 

Honored Contributor

@KittySoftPaws wrote:

@Sooner  Then one needs to get educated, informed, less busy etc. one has a responsibility to decide what they do and don't do, take and don't take, eat and don't eat, etc etc. Secondly, the same drug can affect 10 people 10 differnt ways, so not a one size fits all. Being accountable and responsible for one's own actions seems to be lacking in today's World.

@KittySoftPaws Not everyone can get educated.  Some people work in marginal jobs, work two jobs, have kids with little help, had a poor education to begin with (education in this country is so far behind many countries), and life is just darned hard for them day to day.

HOWEVER, I do agree that accountability and response for one's actions certainly is woefully lacking as well.  Don't get me started on that. . . 

Respected Contributor

I agree, not all people are able to be educated depending on their health literacy, learning, reading ability. Another big problem with many is the ability to afford healthy foods. Not everyone can afford the foods needed to maintain a healthy diet. It is a shame what happens to some people. 

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Having worked in a pharmacy after retiring, I can tell you she received a document with her prescription listing all the good, bad, and ugly. Perhaps she should have read it.

Maybe she did--and thought, "that'll never happen to me."

Occasional Contributor

I hope all of you posters can watch this program available from Hulu and free on ABC on demand that was shown 3/18/24 called "An Oprah Special: Shame, Blame and the Weight Loss Revolution."  It has correct medical information about drugs that were developed principally for people with type 2 diabetes and are now used by others for weight loss.  

Honored Contributor

Just read too much maybe in a Reader's Digest about how bad all those type of things are and run you about $1000 a month.  I don't want to be a Guinnea Pig.

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

The wife of a co-worker of my husband wanted to drop 30 pounds before their son's wedding this summer.  They are planning her funeral now.  The ER providers think her blood sugars may have gone too low.  

That's so sad.

Honored Contributor

@Marp 

I tend to agree with you on this!

My hair stylist I think of as if she were my daughter...and I fear for her having gotten so sick!

You know though, I do remember in the past, my doctor leaning forward and discussing the side effects (estrogen HRT) with me and qualifying the statements by saying "the risks of this happening are low..." etc. But at least it was a warning of what to look for and allowed me the opportunity of making a considered decision!

My looking up the antibiotic "nirrofuran" was just a lark...and it turned out to nearly be true for me.

I guess we all are required to google our various meds now?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~