Respected Contributor

I have no intention to use Ozepic for weight loss.I just wonder now when I see someone losing weight quickly whether they are using it. Studies show that once you go off of it, you start gaining back the weight. So you are paying a high price to use a drug you must use the rest of your life. Perhaps it would be worth it if you were morbidly obese and had associated health problems.

Respected Contributor

@chessylady  I've seen a lot of actresses on TV who I suspect have been using Ozempic for weight loss and they look really gaunt.  I wonder about the long term effects of taking Ozempic for weight loss in a person that doesn't need the medication for its original intended use to treat diabetes.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Ozempic for Weight Loss

[ Edited ]

Since it's a prescription drug, there must be a lot of QUACK doctors around if people are using the drug to become emaciated.

There are also TV commercials by law firms advertising to seek damages for people who have been injured by these drugs.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I have been on Mounjaro for a year for diabetes. My A1C is now 5.2 which is really great and I have lost 78 pounds. I would not advocate these drugs for someone who needs to lose a nominal amount of weight. I do see value for the obese who are at risk for developing heart conditions, diabetes, etc. 

Taking the drug has its challenges, I had some nausea especially the first few months. It is not for casual weight loss use. 

My labs are now all in the normal range, I feel good. I am closely followed by an Endocrinologist and my primary MD. I will be on Mounjaro the rest of my life, I am 65. Medicare has been paying for it because I am diabetic. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt I so wish I could get medicare to cover it, they will not and I am diabetic, have been for 30 years. I need to get my A1C down but between my RA meds and my T2 meds there is just no way to stretch the budget that far.

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

@We rescue cats wrote:

@conlt I so wish I could get medicare to cover it, they will not and I am diabetic, have been for 30 years. I need to get my A1C down but between my RA meds and my T2 meds there is just no way to stretch the budget that far.

If you reduce the sugar and carbohydrates in your diet, you will lose your appetite naturally. When I stop eating refined sugar in everything ( that means salad dressings, catsup,hidden sugar) stop with bread and all pasta, I do lose weight without meds. I actually forget about food. Still safer than taking a drug with a profile of pancreatitis, gallstones and stomach paralysis.🥺

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are safer and healthier ways to lose weight but for some people medication can help them get to their goal even if it's only a temporary measure. Long-term, not so much.

ETA-

One of my friends has been taking it, lost a lot of weight and is on her way to get bariatric surgery so she can continue to get the weight off. She is still morbidly overweight and has struggled her entire life with it. She's in her 60s.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Since it's a prescription drug, there must be a lot of QUACK doctors around if people are using the drug to become emaciated.

There are also TV commercials by law firms advertising to seek damages for people who have been injured by these drugs.

Omg....  there are!    I do think the vast majority of people take Glp 1 meds, like myself, are prescribed it and followed by real, professional doctors.  I take Trulicity off label for weight loss.  I chose Trulicity because it fewer possible complications than Ozempic.  My doctor spent 2 hours talking to me.  So...  Last week I went up to the highest dose of Trulicity.  Lost 70 pounds in a year, want to lose 30 more.  I Googled for side effects etc on the higher dose.  And now my email and social media accounts are slammed with ads from online "doctors" selling Ozempic.  I never made any such searches.  But I see now that the online "doctors" are cashing in.  I'm sure anyone who logs into their website for a video exam gets the prescription.  Well....  If they have the $$$$.   I wouldn't call them "injuries".  Every medication ever prescribed can cause complications in some people who take it.  Hence the 2 hours my doctor spent telling me what could happen and what I should look out for.  Online "doctors" don't do that.

Honored Contributor

I noticed on TV today that the lawyers are already advertising to take cases for Ozempic and the other drug.  Didn't take long.

Trusted Contributor

If only this were true for me, sadly it is not and my carb gram count is under 25 per day.

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)