Super Contributor

Part D 2023 costs.......WOW!

[ Edited ]

Just got notice from Aetna Silver Script PLus that my monthly for this plan will go from 69.10 to 116.00 starting in Jan 2024. Also, there is now a deductable of 200 for Tiers 3-5.

I am goijng to have to go looking for a new plan when all are published. It is to the point I may have to forego a plan if I can't get some decent coverage at a decent price.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Part D 2023 costs.......WOW!

@cozyseeker wrote:

Just got notice from Aetna Silver Script PLus that my monthly for this plan will go from 69.10 to 116.00 starting in Jan 2024. Also, there is now a deductable of 200 for Tiers 3-5.

I am goijng to have to go looking for a new plan when all are published. It is to the point I may have to forego a plan if I can't get some decent coverage at a decent price.

Won't you have to pay a penalty, though?  

It's criminal.  I'm afraid to ever retire and go on Medicare.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cozyseeker  Before you choose to go without Part D or Rx coverage, you might want to check with Medicare about possible penalties for not having Rx coverage.

ETA: I think that without any Rx coverage, Medicare might be able to charge some people an extra 1-2% on the monthly healthcare coverage. But as I said, I'd check with Medicare about any penalties.

Esteemed Contributor

You really need a supplemental plan; cut your budget someplace else.  "Your share" can be a lot of money if you happen to have an unexpected medical expense. DH has had up to $450,000 billed to him on one illness ( before he got medicare; after slot of negotiations we got "our share" to $10,000 in one year).

Honored Contributor

@cozyseeker.  You and @SharkE should get together and commiserate.   She was complaining about the same thing yesterday.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Yes, I know all about the penalties and problems of giving up part D.

I am speaking more from frustration at this point. I will find a plan that fits my needs for next years

Honored Contributor

My plan went to $0.00 per month!!! But a $545 deductible and $13.00 copay.

I do not take any prescription drugs currently, so this is OK with me BUT, if I have a need for a drug, not sure I like the plan.

Respected Contributor

Please contact your ombudsman. They helped me with all health insurance and plan choices when I retired. They have access to all options including pricing. I gave them all my current medications and they gave me several options.

Is WellCare an option for you? I have a tier 3 drug I have to pay @$100 every three months for but the plan itself is around $10 a month. That said, I haven't heard from them about 2024 rates yet.

Best of luck!

Respected Contributor

@cozyseeker The enrollment period is upon us. Silver Script is owned by CVS who also owns Aetna. Silver Script seems to be composed of smaller companies who operate under the brand. It is possible you were reassigned to a different company under the Silver Script umbrella. (One year my husband had two, so neither one would cover his prescription until we got it sorted out.) A phone call could help. Ask specifically if you were assigned a different carrier. They are trained to evade your question, but I suspect that is the situation.

If there is another choice available, I think the pharmacy owning the insurance company and the drug insurance is a blatant conflict of interest. You might find a better choice, but do your research. Search for the true owner of any company. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've only been on SS & Medicare a few months and I also got the yearly change notice.  I was surprised since I just started.

I believe it's different by state, but I'm not mad.  I'm on BASIC SilverScripts SmartSaver, not Plus and mine is going from $7.40 to $12.30.  However, the deductible for Tiers 2-5  is dropping from $505 to $280.  Tier one drugs bypass the deductible and those are going from $2/30 days to $0.  Tier 2 drugs are dropping from $15 to $5/30 days, Tier 3 from 25% to 24%, Tier 4 stays at 50%, and Tier 5 is going up from 25% to 29%.  I don't see any additional deductible for Tier 5.  Covered insulin products are capped at $35/mo.

Everything I'm currently on is Tier 1 although I'm going to start something new in a few days and I'm not sure what Tier it is (can't seem to find that info), but since I obviously haven't met my deductible at $2/drug/mo I'll be paying retail for it at ~$25.65/90 days according to my plan's website.

All of my Medicare premiums together don't come anywhere NEAR what I was paying for my ACA plan which was over $700/month Premium with a $7500 deductible.