Respected Contributor

Re: Ortho visit that has me steaming mad! What do you think?

Back to the OP -

The crux of this situation, IMHO, is right here from the OPs first post:

" I was a bit distracted when she came in as I was looking at some blood test results pertaining to my dog who is seriously ill. Then I'm trying to shove the papers back into my purse when maybe she tells me who she is.....I think she said something like she works with Dr. Y. Anyway, I presumed she was a doctor..."

You were distracted, and I can sympathize, but you missed what was said and instead of saying something like, oh I'm sorry I was distracted what did you just say, you made an assumption. If you had had her repeat what she said, you could have asked why the MD wasn't meeting with you and even have told her that you felt it necessary to see the MD even if it meant rescheduling. I wouldn't be fuming at the Ortho group, if I was going to be upset about anything I would have been upset with myself!

Super Contributor

On 2/9/2015 Drythe said:
On 2/9/2015 shawn101 said: Drythe - you didn't ment that the 4 year degree can be in anything......such as art, history, etc So they only have two years Of actual medical training. It's my body and I choose to see a medical doctor. Good luck if you want to see a PA. MD's use PA's to make money for them. Sorry - it is NCCPA.net

shawn101- Thank you for permission to see whom I please. I believe I will. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Colonel Meow - Not an Art History major in the bunch! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

LOL - no, not even Art History! Let's just say that the Liberal Arts are not represented within this group of medical professionals.

Honored Contributor

Dupe

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Occasional Contributor

I actually work with a PA who had a BA in Education and taught elementary school before going back to become a PA. PA students generally have a degree in the sciences, but it does not have to be. Often they have business degrees or liberal art degrees, with the required science pre-reqs added.

Respected Contributor

On 2/9/2015 shawn101 said: Drythe - you didn't ment that the 4 year degree can be in anything......such as art, history, etc So they only have two years Of actual medical training. It's my body and I choose to see a medical doctor. Good luck if you want to see a PA. MD's use PA's to make money for them. Sorry - it is NCCPA.net

The vast majority of physician assistant programs require multiple hours of undergraduate science courses. So to even start a PA program the individual would have to complete courses in chemistry, anatomy & physiology, microbiology, etc. So technically while the bachelor's degree might be in something else, these students cannot start the PA program without a plethora of rigorous undergraduate science courses. Most programs also require some algebra & statistics courses as an undergraduate in addition to the science courses. So many that know they are going on to this type of program concentrate on science courses at the undergraduate level for their bachelor's degree. Or they spend more years taking all of the prerequisite courses for the program.

It is also pretty standard that PA programs require a minimum of 1,000 hours of working in direct patient care before they can start the program. They will count work as a RN, paramedic, EMT, etc. And that all has to be done before they even apply to the program.

For ARNP programs, registered nurses are required to hold a bachelor's of science in nursing (BSN) degree from an accredited program. Those programs all require chemistry, A&P, micro, statistics, etc. as a part of the BSN curriculum. The vast majority of programs also require nursing experience before applying to the program. ARNP programs consist of rigorous pathophysiology, pharmacology, physical assessment, & differential diagnosis courses..no matter what track the nurse chooses to pursue. And today many ARNPs are pursuing the doctorate in nursing practice (DNP).

All of these programs are highly competitive with more individuals applying than they have spaces. So admission into either type of program is far from a walk in the park.

People are free to have opinions as to whether they prefer a PA or ARNP or not, but to state that graduates of either program only have 2 years of medical training is not accurate on any level at all.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

On 2/9/2015 VCamp2748 said:
On 2/7/2015 pupwhipped said:
On 2/7/2015 ellaphant said:

While PAs are well trained, I wold not want a diagnosis given to me by a PA. Sorry, that's just me. A shot is one thing, but not the diagnosis.

I think this is the most intelligent response I have gotten thus far.

Thank you, ellaphant. I agree.

LOL! So people are only intelligent if they agree with you?{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Please read my follow-up post, #112, in this thread.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Pup whipped, cortisone injections always make your knee feel worse for a couple of days just from the trauma of the injection. If it's going to work for you, and they don't always, you should have some relief by the third day.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 2/9/2015 pitdakota said:

The vast majority of physician assistant programs require multiple hours of undergraduate science courses. So to even start a PA program the individual would have to complete courses in chemistry, anatomy & physiology, microbiology, etc. So technically while the bachelor's degree might be in something else, these students cannot start the PA program without a plethora of rigorous undergraduate science courses. Most programs also require some algebra & statistics courses as an undergraduate in addition to the science courses. So many that know they are going on to this type of program concentrate on science courses at the undergraduate level for their bachelor's degree. Or they spend more years taking all of the prerequisite courses for the program.

It is also pretty standard that PA programs require a minimum of 1,000 hours of working in direct patient care before they can start the program. They will count work as a RN, paramedic, EMT, etc. And that all has to be done before they even apply to the program.

For ARNP programs, registered nurses are required to hold a bachelor's of science in nursing (BSN) degree from an accredited program. Those programs all require chemistry, A&P, micro, statistics, etc. as a part of the BSN curriculum. The vast majority of programs also require nursing experience before applying to the program. ARNP programs consist of rigorous pathophysiology, pharmacology, physical assessment, & differential diagnosis courses..no matter what track the nurse chooses to pursue. And today many ARNPs are pursuing the doctorate in nursing practice (DNP).

All of these programs are highly competitive with more individuals applying than they have spaces. So admission into either type of program is far from a walk in the park.

People are free to have opinions as to whether they prefer a PA or ARNP or not, but to state that graduates of either program only have 2 years of medical training is not accurate on any level at all.

Thank you pitdakota! Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2015 Kachina624 said: Pup whipped, cortisone injections always make your knee feel worse for a couple of days just from the trauma of the injection. If it's going to work for you, and they don't always, you should have some relief by the third day.

When a joint injection is done properly by a skilled practitioner this is not true. I have walked away from many a knee injection feeling absolutely no pain from the injection at all.

Occasional Contributor

Of course this is just my experience, but, my primary care provider at the VA is a PA. I have seen her now for the last 7 years. She diagnoses, prescribes, but for treatments she has referred me to other MDs either at the VA or elsewhere in town, some of which have ultimately resulted in surgery. She has been better at referring me for further testing, etc, than any MD in town I ever had. I am completely comfortable with her, in fact, have built up quite a pro relationship with her since she does take a lot more time with me than any MD ever has. Her nurse is also very helpful, they are a great team.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}